Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5s dropping calls

gds16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My iphone 5s has been working perfectly until this week, when at a random point (a few seconds in to 10 mins in) during most calls I make I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me. It is obviously very annoying. My wife has the same issue on her iphone 5. A friend has reported a similar issue using an iphone. All of us are in the Edinburgh area but no faults are reported in this area by O2. 

Has anyone had the same issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gds16
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Turning off cellular data and swapping sim did not work. 

The guys in the O2 shop said there had been lots of problems locally because of changes on masts getting ready for 4G. After 19th Nov when 4G goes live there should be no more probs (or so I am told). 

Anyway I have an epiphany. I am going to use TU Go in the house on wifi and so far so good! 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

First try a soft reset.

Press the top button and home button together until the apple logo appears and then let go.

It will reset.

Also take out the sim and give it a clean.

Sometimes the sim card can adopt faults so you can get this replaced at any O2 shop where they will transfer your tariff and number from your original sim to a new blank one. It takes approx a few minutes to 24 hours to settle.

or you can order the sim online or via customer services and perform the swap yourself by the online form http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ or by texting SWAP to 20220.

Also try switching from 3g to 2g in your phones settings to see if that will help.

If its a hardware fault then make an appointment with an apple genius bar and they will resolve it or possibly swap it for another one for you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Message 2 of 10

gds16
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks.

Tried the soft reset (O2 guru told me to do this with phone attached to USB). Managed the loft heights of a 13 min call before the caller could not hear me! Incidentally, the voicemail seems to be lost at the same time.

I have cleaned the sim and will soft reset again. If it fails again I will swap the sim etc.

Annoying!! 

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
This maybe an issue with the phone switching between 2G and 3G signals when on a call. It wouldn't show as a network fault but it does sometimes happen.
If you have the option, lock the phone onto 2G (ie, toggle 3G off) and see if the call lasts for the duration.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Try the other avenues I've highlighted in my reply to you, as they may help.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gds16 wrote:

My iphone 5s has been working perfectly until this week, when at a random point (a few seconds in to 10 mins in) during most calls I make I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me. It is obviously very annoying. My wife has the same issue on her iphone 5. A friend has reported a similar issue using an iphone. All of us are in the Edinburgh area but no faults are reported in this area by O2. 

Has anyone had the same issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks

As it is happening on a number of devices, in the same area I would suggest it is down to the network.  Maybe just suffering from conjestion, or as stated the signal maybe changing so if you are swapping between 2G/3G you may suffer.

To help prove this, see how you get on in a different area if possible.  I think O2 have a my network app or something similar where you can see the location of the cell towers - so pick one other than the closest to you currently and try go and use it in that area.

I had issues in a city centre once, calls kept dropping, when people called me it would be a dead line (not voicemail) - went on for a while as no faults were reported.  Turned out it was to do with the capacity of the cell I was connecting too, it wasn't faulty, just too much traffic.

Message 6 of 10

gds16
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks to you all. 

In a different area (at my work) it worked fine yesterday. But this morning deadline again. Now tried switching off cellular data to see if that helps, so far so good. 

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope it goes ok for you.
Message 8 of 10

gds16
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Turning off cellular data and swapping sim did not work. 

The guys in the O2 shop said there had been lots of problems locally because of changes on masts getting ready for 4G. After 19th Nov when 4G goes live there should be no more probs (or so I am told). 

Anyway I have an epiphany. I am going to use TU Go in the house on wifi and so far so good! 

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for updating your thread.

slight_smile

Message 10 of 10