cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 not working properly when connected to BT homehub5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Changed my broadband hub to a BT homehub 5 All devices work well apart from both iphone 5s that we have in the house They show that they are connected and apps work well, but when you try to use an internet browser, it says it is disconnected.

Called BT and spent hours on the phone to them who have now directed me to apple. They say there is nothing wrong with the hub, but the phones settings will need to be changed. But they don't know how.

They also claim that they have not encountered this before.

Wondered if anyone here can help?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for the help Looks like performing a software update to 8.2 solved the issue.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Are there any firewalls enabled on the hub?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you reset the hub?

You could try settings>wifi>Forget network & then input your hub password again on the phones.

Another tip you could try is settings>general>reset>reset network settings then you connect the hub again then re enter the key
Message 3 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
You need to unsync the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz bands of the hh5 then change the ssid of the 5ghz so you know NOT to connect to it.
Some idevices are acting oddly on ios8 and hh5.
This is what to do.
Open your web browser on a device connected to the Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home. This will open the Hub Manager

Click on Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted. Unless you've changed it, you'll find the default Hub password on the Hub settings card

Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
Click on Wireless
Click on 5GHz
Change 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' to NO
Change the "Wireless SSID" to a new name
Click Apply to save the changes
When connecting to a wireless network, you will now see both the old network name (SSID) which can be used for 2.4GHz connections to idevices

and the new name you choose for the 5GHz band. This can be used for connections on other compatible devices.

Message 4 of 8

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And the BT person on the phone lied, they actually have a help page about devices acting funny on synced bands.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I have tried that, but still getting the same problem. And yes, it is interesting that BT have this help topic but denied it last night.

Message 6 of 8

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Once you've separated the bands of the router,
Make sure 5ghz is named different.
delete all instances of the router connection off your iPhone and turn off/on.
Then start over entering details only for 2.4ghz connection
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for the help Looks like performing a software update to 8.2 solved the issue.

Message 8 of 8