cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet not working abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi im in portugal at the moment and have upgraded to a sim only plan with an iphone x but even though i can make calls and receive txts i cant get internet please help 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Benj
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks very much for your reply. I did that but nothing seemed to happen. Seems a lot of people have trouble with O2 moving from phone contract to SIM contract.
Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, unfortunately customer services are either not correctly trained or just don't care.
Give it 24 hours and if not resolved, call them again to check all is OK.
If you restart your phone after midnight it may just update itself.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 17

Benj
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok, thanks very much again for your help!
Message 13 of 17

PaulKing
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much MI5

Have had the same problem here (France) for a few months now, I assumed it was due to the phone not being back in the UK for so long (because of the various lockdowns, its probably not received a 'uk o2' signal for 12 months
The apn I had was

"idata.o2.co,uk"

Changed it to

"mobile.o2.co.uk"

as recommended in you post and like magic (or even 'et voila'!) its working properly again

So very many thanks indeed & thanks to O2 & the community to make resolution of these uncommon (to the majority of UK O2 customers) issues so accessible

Message 14 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You're welcome @PaulKing 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 17

PaulKing
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

I don't suppose you also have a quick fix for "Set Up Personal Hotspot" too?
when I click on the hyperlink on my iPhone settings I am advised to goto a O2 website (iphonehelp/modem) which isnt any help at all!

All I want to know is how to turn my iPhone into a 'hotspot' when my modem/router decides to have a hiccup and I lose wi-fi on my lap-top. (Before losing my O2 internet access, which you fixed for me above, I used to be able to use my iPhone to replace my wifi in those situations. Same iPhone, same lap-top, no longer able to access the 'hotspot' functionality )

Thanks in advance (non urgent request)

Message 16 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@PaulKing 

You need to call O2 and ask them to enable iData on your account.

It may take a few attempts to get someone who knows what they are doing though...........

Currently using:
Message 17 of 17