Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone X GPS - poor accuracy

Rob48
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone X and have noticed that the GPS performance is awful. The blue dot on Google Maps, for instance, wanders around by 100 metres or more when with the old phone it was always spot on. Recording tracks with Strava, the track is way off the path that I follow when it used to be very close with my old phone. This seems like a big step back as I use my phone for navigation a lot. Do I have a faulty unit or has Apple somehow ruined the GPS in their newer phones?
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Rob48 

Sounds like a faulty device. 

If you contact Apple support they will run a diagnostic check. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/contact

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Rob48 

Sounds like a faulty device. 

If you contact Apple support they will run a diagnostic check. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/contact

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Rob48
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5. As it is an O2 pay monthly device should my first port of call be O2 or directly to Apple?
Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Rob48 

Go to Apple first. They are much better at running diagnostics on their own devices.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Apple have the knowledge to diagnose it correctly so anything else would be a waste of time. They may refer you back to o2 if found to be faulty but in my experience they will just arrange a replacement on the spot.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Rob48
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Looks like it might just be the case that the iPhone X we get in the UK (A1901) has poor GPS. Not impressed. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8189221?page=1
Message 6 of 12

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions
I have a An Xs Max and find the GPS fine. GPS location can be affected by a number of factors including but not limited to which GPS satellites your device happens to be using. If it using the US satellites occasionally, especially during times of heightened US tensions GPS accuracy for non US military devices can be affected as the US will deliberately decrease the GPS accuracy of non military devices to ensure the safety of their own military. This accuracy error can be introduced into the European satellites if required. All non military devices access the GPS satellites under licence. Sounds far fetched I know but allegedly true.
Message 7 of 12

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions
and that should get the conspiracy theorists’ juices flowing 🤣🤣🤣
Message 8 of 12

Rob48
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
But when I compare it side by side to my wife’s iPhone 6 the accuracy is way off. The 6 will show correctly which end of the garden I am standing. The X has me about 10 houses away. This morning I was trying to use the phone for walking directions in town and it was putting me on a totally different street from where I actually was.

Not only that but the data reception is far worse than the old phone. I used to be able to access the internet for almost the whole train journey into London apart from a couple of small dead spots. Now for nearly half the journey I am getting no data.

The connectivity just seems to be a massive step backwards for what is meant to be a more advanced phone!
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
My daughter has an Xs and I've checked hers. No problems with GPS accuracy at all so definitely something not right with yours.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12