cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone SE unlocking on O2 soon?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iPhone SE that I got on an O2 contract about 6 months ago (I'm still paying for the device plan), and I was wondering if anyone here knows when O2 is going to make it available for unlocking?

It's usually about 6 months from release is it not?

Anyone? slight_smile

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Check in My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 If you are able to unlock it will be there under 'Unlock My device'

More info here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Check in My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 If you are able to unlock it will be there under 'Unlock My device'

More info here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Usually around 6 months, yes.
Try it and see if it works http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi slight_smile sorry I forgot to mention: I've tried to unlock through the My O2 app, My O2 website and even filled out the form a couple of times over the months, and each time been told that O2 can't unlatch my device until the contract is paid off.

I've read here before that O2 usually make iPhones available for unlocking about 6 months after release i.e. when a new model is released.

Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi slight_smile sorry I forgot to mention: I've tried to unlock through the My O2 app, My O2 website and even filled out the form a couple of times over the months, and each time been told that O2 can't unlatch my device until the contract is paid off.

I've read here before that O2 usually make iPhones available for unlocking about 6 months after release i.e. when a new model is released.

That's untrue. You don't have to wait till device is paid off to unlock. 6 months is the maximum term. If you need it done now and can't via the usual route then you need to contact CS on 202...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's really when O2 decide.
I don't believe there is a hard and fast 6 month rule....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses guys! I will give CS a call then.

I wonder why though, each time I try to unlock through the My O2 app, they send me this email:-

Dear Daniel xxxxxxx

Thank you for your unlatching request for IMEI 355xxxxxxxxx. The
mobile number that you provided is 07xxxxxxxx.

I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your device at this time.
The reason given is:

The handset credit agreement must be paid off before we can unlatch your
iPhone.

Thank you,

O2 Customer Service

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As I said above - no hard and fast rules - they make them up as they go.......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

Just an update on iPhone SE unlocking: I spoke to CS on Friday morning explaining that I'm still being denied an unlock on my handset after 6 months and the agent filled out the unlock form over the phone and said that there shouldn't be a problem and it should be unlocked within about 72 hours.

Guess what.. still not unlocked and no message confirming or not whether the unlock was successful.

Just wondering your opinions on what I should do next? As I'm pretty sure if I call CS again and ask for an unlock, the same thing will happen ad infinitum. Maybe I need to try something else?

I'm just so annoyed why the rules are so opaque, and that when I ordered the phone and contract, the info on unlocking stated nowhere that it's not possible to unlock. Also, I've checked my contract T&Cs and it makes no mention of a no-unlock period for recently released iPhones.

Grateful as always for any thoughts guys, many thanks.

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It states the restrictions on the unlock pages and it is mentioned in the community guidelines on unlocking too.
Nothing you can do but wait for O2 I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11