Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

iPhone Activation Question - 2 O2 Contracts

Hi everyone
Hopefully someone might know the answer to this - I am looking at getting the 3G iPhone when it is released however my own contract doesnt expire until Feb 09 - spoke to O2 today and they said I can purchase the iPhone when it is released and they can convert my contract over to an iPhone contract for no charge - the only extra cost to me will be paying for the iPhone fully - no subsidised cost of £159 (16Gb) - she said it will be about £250 (or £200 for 8Gb)
However my wifes phone (a contract also in my name) expires 4 days before the new iPhone is released. If I purchase the iPhone, activate it with her SIM (and sing up to the 18 month contract) and then put my SIM into it, will I still be able to use everything? I currently pay £35 a month for each of the contracts and already get the free internet bolton so the contract wont actually be any different really cost wise.
Using my wifes contract to upgrade sounds unfair to her but thats how we got our current phones - I used her upgrade and she used my upgrade for the phones we wanted and use now.

Can someone who currently has an iPhone and another O2 SIM try this out? If you put the other SIM into the iPhone, does everything still work ok?

Many thanks

James
Anonymous

Using other 02 sim after activation

You cant use any sim in the iphone after activation unless you jailbreak and unlock the iphone. But the iphone 3G will have 2.0 firmware, so as of yet no jailbreak
Anonymous

udpate

So you can only use the SIM you activated the iPhone with? I wonder how they lock the phone to that SIM.

Also, although its only beta, 2.0 was released and 2 hours later it was jailbroken - http://iphone.unlock.no/ (which is known as 1.1.2 from what Ive read on the net
Anonymous

You can put your iphone sim in another phone and it will allow you to make calls but it would not let you use the cloud or bt openzone as they use the mac code on the phone...

The IMEI on the simcard is logged on the activation along with the serial number so for example if your phone is faulty and you got a replacement you would need to activate it again via itunes (of course this wouldnt mean entering another contract)
Anonymous

My contract runs out in January 09 and ive also been told I could upgrade with no charge but I was told the prices for the phones would remain the same.
Highlighted
Anonymous

O2's responses to everyone seems so flaky and contradictatory between everyone - they should get their funk together and train all their staff to be running from the same cribb sheet!

Well at least it seems like I should be able to put a normal O2 SIM into an iPhone after it is activate (can someone just please confirm that for me)

thanks