cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6s burning battery and data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have just upgraded, I had an iphone 6 previously and now have a 6s. My average usage each month in terms of data was under 1gb with my iphone 6 - I have exactly the same apps etc as I restored the backup from my icloud on the 6s but have used nearly 3GB in 2 days!! Also the battery doesnt last anywhere near as long! Help!

Sarah

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That doesn't sound good @Anonymous If you are convinced you haven't used that much data. Have you honestly not added any more new apps to the phone?

If you think it could be a fault with the phone then I would ask for it to be swapped.

You could give Apple a call and see what they have to say?

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/

Edited Spelling...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Try checking this link - apparently Apple decided that using your data allowance instead of wi-fi was a good idea (which in principle if your data speed is better than your wi-fi it might be...) and turned this feature on by default.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iOS-wifi-assist/td-p/920760

It has a link to the Apple website with instructions on how to turn it off.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That doesn't sound good @Anonymous If you are convinced you haven't used that much data. Have you honestly not added any more new apps to the phone?

If you think it could be a fault with the phone then I would ask for it to be swapped.

You could give Apple a call and see what they have to say?

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/

Edited Spelling...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this - I have turned Wifi Assist off (yesterday) but still seem to be using lots of data!

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya - thanks, I hadn't considered it being a fault with the phone so will see what Apple say.

I honestly havent added any apps! 

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Best of luck...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 To check what is draining the battery Settings> Battery scroll down hit clock to display on screen time as well as %

2 To identify the data usage Settings> Mobile Data scroll down to see what is using the mobile data

Hope that helps you track down the culprit as since my 6 - 6s upgrade not seen any strange behaviour

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 9

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Did you do your restore via iTunes of over Wifi / Mobile data as the restore over mobile data can take a few days (such as restoring photos, etc) so could this be the cause?
Message 8 of 9

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
If none of the above shows anything up or deleting and reinstalling the app (s) responsible if so a full factory reset and set the phone up as new. Don't restore from a backup, start over again - which will be fine consuming but could be worth it if it fixes the data and battery issues.
If that doesn't work then as previously suggested taking it to Apple is the next step.
Message 9 of 9