cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6S bought sim-free

Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased a 6s from CPW sim free and put in an o2 sim I had lying around to activate it while I waited for a replacement for my contract sim (on EE). Stupidly didn't realise they locked to the first carrier and now can't get the phone unlocked. Are CS normally as obstructive as I have encountered recently? Put a request in for an unlock, no contact after the 72 hours. Tried live chat, told that I had to go to CPW to unlock, which I know is not correct. Tried live chat again, told that Apple had not "authorised" o2 to unlock 6s. Spoke to Apple, obviously they told me they cannot help. Is there any way I can get this unlocked or should I try and return it to CPW for a replacement?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not very clear on their website that iPhones lock to the first carrier though. o2 should unlock but their "Gurus" seem to think that Apple and CPW have access to the IMEI database to get that changed. It's like banging my head against the proverbial. Request is in again, hopefully it gets resolved soon.
Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
"iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards."
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/apple/iphone-6?dealtype=SimFree&capacity=16GB
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 CAN unlock the phone, they just don't train their "gurus" enough for them to have the knowledge to do it. I'm going to take this to Ofcom and make a complaint. They really don't know what they're doing.
Message 13 of 18

MI5
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes we know they can, we've already said that.
It's just o2 policy not to unless it's fully paid for, for the first 6 months or so and this is sanctioned by OFCOM so I doubt they will be interested in your mistake tbh.
You have been advised to seek help from CPW or get back onto o2 and explain if the phone has been purchased outright.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any reason for your tone? I thought this was meant to be a community. Instead it seems like a board of o2 fan boys who are not able to accept that CS are useless. I have explained that the phone was purchased outright a number of times, but I really cannot get through to any one who knows what they're talking about.

Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Actually I didn't realise you had purchased the phone outright. I presumed it was bought on contract from CPW. If it is paid for.... there is absolutely no reason for it not to be unlocked...

Not sure without reading back whether you have already completed the unlock form?

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I've completed two, latest one came back saying they don't unlock iPhone 6s and the first was ignored. CS keep telling me to go back to CPW, I'm running out of patience at this point.

Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Indeed I've asked a number of times if purchased outright and the question wasn't answered and as I've said, as so, call CS and explain and they will unlock it for you.
PS, I don't have a tone - but it seems you do.....?

Currently using:
Message 18 of 18