cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6S Unlatching Failure

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently bought an iPhone 6S handset that is locked to O2.

For a number of reasons, including resale value, I would like to unlock this device, though my account is currently linked to a different device. 

I have spoken to a few different advisors from O2, all of which have confirmed that I can do so, however I have received negative responses to two unlatching requests, both citing 'incorrect personal details' as the reason for the unsuccessful unlatching. One form was actually sent by the O2 live chat advisor, having confirmed all of my details with me at the time, so it seems fairly unlikely that this is the case. In all cases when discussing unlatching a device not currently linked to the account, the advisor was aware the device I was talking about was a 6S. 

Any ideas what could be happening?
I had heard that O2 were not yet unlocking 6S's; I was a little surprised when I was told it was fine to unlock the device by the advisors.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

You need to use your account sim in the phone so it can be linked to you.

Message 2 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used the sim in the phone a couple of times so the device would be in some way associated with the sim card, does the sim card need to be in the handset throughout the unlatching process?

Message 3 of 36

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

No as long as it's been used on the account. Maybe you need to call them if they are unlocking the 6s now. In any case, if the phone is fully paid for they have to unlock it for you.

Message 4 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
As @jonsie has said it needs to be associated with your account but my latest unlock request failed .

Unless you have paid the cca handset agreement in full o2 are still not unlocking the 6s
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 36

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It needs to be showing in your my o2 ideally which means using it more on the network, but we still don't think they are unlocking the 6s yet anyway.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 Will send another request via myo2 and keep doing so every week I will try and report back when they do start unlocking the 6s !

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 36

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Cool cheers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 36

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous can you confirm you are the original owner of the handset. You didn't buy it from ebay or the likes? As this could be what O2 mean when they said the details mismatched. But as other have said, if you use the sim in the handset for a day or so the IMEI will register on your account and you will be able to request the unlock via MyO2. You will see what phone is linked before making the request. Again, if the original owner hasn't paid the device off yet, O2 may not unlock it.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curr946

The usual timescale for iphone unlocking means it will happen around MarchApril time so unless the OP pays the device plan in full then the simple answer is no as said by @MI5 & @adamtemp64 simples

Message 10 of 36