cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6+ locked to O2?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My colleague has just got his wife to upgrade her O2 phone for a 64Gb iPhone 6+. I've fully briefed him to expect a wait, but they are happy waiting (so far).

His idea is for his wife to give him the iPhone, and she will continue using her Note 2. He is on Vodafone. Am I right in thinking O2 can't lock iPhones, and therefore if the first sim card that goes in it is his (after he has sim-swapped for a nano), that it will work? Or are iPhones locked to networks too? Upgraded directly with O2, not CPW etc.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No, it will be locked to O2.
If it's on refresh they currently require the device plan to be paid off before they will unlock it - Otherwise it's a 6 month wait.
Makes no sense in that respect so may as well buy outright from Apple.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No, it will be locked to O2.
If it's on refresh they currently require the device plan to be paid off before they will unlock it - Otherwise it's a 6 month wait.
Makes no sense in that respect so may as well buy outright from Apple.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MI5 . I feared as much...

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Done deliberately to ensure revenue stays with the network that sold the device.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Usually here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

But O2 are not unlocking the iPhone 6/plus for a while 😞

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 5 of 5