cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 locked to O2, but bought somewhere else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am an O2 Pay & Go customer, and I have a Nexus 6 phone for myself, that I use with my O2 account.

I have bought an iPhone 6 on eBay (supposedly operator unlocked) for a relative who lives in South America, and used my O2 SIM card to activate it. Now, it is locked to O2 network, and I can only use my O2 sim card, in it, but I want to take this phone to South America and use the local operator sim card.

I tried to look for instructions on how to unlock the phone, but all of them are related to phones purchased from O2 itself, which is not the case. Apple supports says I need to contact the network operator (O2), to ask for information, but the chat is always busy, and I cannot call O2 support from outside the UK.

Any one can give me any suggestion about how to get it unlocked, or at least, where I could get more help and information about this issue, since I cannot call O2 customer support?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All details relevant are here
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All details relevant are here
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

It explains how to unlock a phone purchased from O2, which is not the case. I got the phone from eBay, and it just got locked to whichever first SIM card I inserted in it, in this case, O2.

So when I go to O2 online, there is no information about unlocking any phone, as I have NOT purchased the phone from O2 nor CPW.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops...

I just read it again, and realized I missed the details about phones purchased on eBay.

Sorry about that, my bad!

Thank you for the help, I'll top-up and submit the form!

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

No worries wink

PS, make sure you use the phone on O2 to register it to the network too.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5