Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 4G Toggle Interference?

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Today, whilst down in Brighton, a similar thing happened to my iPhone 6 (similar to the 4G issue I posted about, whilst up in London). 

I was sitting in a diner in a shopping centre, and trying to post a message on a social media site. My iPhone 6 showed 3 dots of signal and also showed the 3G icon (4G was ALSO toggled on, in the settings). It took absolutely ages for my phone to connect, so much so, that I gave up trying to do what I wanted to do! 

I then remembered that @Anonymous had previously suggested that I turn my 4G switch, to off, so I tried that, and low and behold, my phone connected straight away?!?

This kinda suggests that even when 4G was not available in that area, as long as I had the 4G toggled ON, my phone would constantly search for the 4G signal and NOT connect (which is exactly what was happening), because as soon as I turned 4G OFF, it connected straight away?! 

Is this correct? It kinda looks like that when the iPhone is searching for a 4G signal, it blocks the 3G one, until it is able to actually lock on to the 4G one?! 

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
It "shouldn't" make any difference. My Note 4 just connects to whatever is available, but it does seem that your phone is struggling for some reason.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
My suggestion was indeed a workaround as yes it should connect to the strongest option.

However doing as I suggested cuts out the phone flicking between a possible fringe connection and a stronger one @DinoF

Glad I helped in a small way. 😄
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
3 dots is hardly "fringe"....
The phone, to all intents and purposes, would appear to be faulty.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
3 dots is hardly "fringe"....
The phone, to all intents and purposes, would appear to be faulty.....

I was referring to this situation as being generally. 😳

My apologies for any confusion that may have caused you DinoF. 

Message 5 of 8

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks for this info @DinoF 

I'll have to give this a go next time my 4G signal is poor

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Thanks for this info @DinoF 

I'll have to give this a go next time my 4G signal is poor

I do the same when visiting my daughter Gemz as 4G is not too strong in her area so turning off 4G helps to keep the iPhone pushed onto 3G. And saves battery juice as the phone is working overtime to keep connection imo. 

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
My iPhone connects to the strongest signal,available in my area without having to use the toggle, mine connects to 3G easily using between 1 & 3 dots of signal strength
Message 8 of 8