cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5S 4G from Apple using O2 Simplicity

Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have the legacy O2 simplicity with unlimited internet.  I now know that I'm going to lose that if I sign up for 4G which is a shame but you can't fight city hall.

I'm using it in an unlocked iPhone 5 bought on the release day from the Apple Store so it SHOULD have been 4G ready but I guess nobody knew then that not all 4G was the same.

So my question is, will the iPhone 5S from the Apple Store be compatible with O2 4G or should I just buy direct from O2?  And if I bought from O2 will I be treated as a new customer rather than an upgrader as I have a legacy Simplicity Sim?

The reason I buy direct from Apple is that I'm free to move on when I like if circumstances and/or reception changes or a better deal comes along.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

4g sim only tariffs now showing on the shop pages https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/SmartPhone/?is4G=true

Those only appear to have 12-month contracts.

I can't see any 30-day Simplicity contracts available for 4G tariffs, sadly.

To the OP - I feel your pain. For the past few years I've done the exact same thing - pre-ordered the new iPhone model, got it on launch day and kept myself on one-month sim-only contracts in order to stay flexible, plus overall the price is decent enough that having the freedom is well worth it to me.

I'm a bit miffed the iPhone 5 won't work on o2's 4G network too. And I'm not suite sure why it doesn't so I posted this thread about it:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/LTE-Band-5-Why-doesn-t-the-iPhone-5-work-...

Cheers

Message 11 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
just had a quick check on O2 Refresh - the price of iPhones to buy outright are considerably more than from Apple for example the iPhone 5 32GB is £699 vs £599 from Apple. Maybe Refresh is not such a good thing after all!?

Think of it as up to two years interest free credit for a £1 a week.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't need to buy on credit!
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

I do the same and buy mine from the Apple store ,unlocked.

Then I use a payg go go sim.

Took me 14 attempts at reserving the iPhone 5 last time from Meadowhall !

😞
Message 14 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't need to buy on credit!

Nobody suggested you did.

It's good to know that you have more money than other people. Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol perks - that's not what I intended to convey (but hey). Usually it costs less overall to buy up-front because money in the bank is worth more to a company, is less admin and less risk than operating what is effectively a hire-purchase system.

But with O2 it's more almost as if they're trying discourage upfront buyers. Or have I got this commerce thing all wrong?
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Lol perks - that's not what I intended to convey (but hey). Usually it costs less overall to buy up-front because money in the bank is worth more to a company, is less admin and less risk than operating what is effectively a hire-purchase system.

But with O2 it's more almost as if they're trying discourage upfront buyers. Or have I got this commerce thing all wrong?

From what i've read in the past their is not much kick back from Apple on its products.

Hence when the iPhone 5 was initially released No 02 shop would sell one of them on PAYG.

Basically they want new contracts / upgrades, the shop wants its quota and margin reached = happy manager = bonus for employee for opening said contracts/upgrades {if applicable}, and at then end of the day thats business.

Message 17 of 17