cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 v 5S signal strength disparity

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are numerous times when my wifesi Phone 5 and myiPhone 4S and since I have upgraded to a 5S, are having differing signal strength indications whilst in the house.  My wifes phone will often indicate 2/3 bars and mine will have "no network found" (even when side by side). It never seems to be the other way around.  When I get 2/3 bars she has the same.  This happened with my 4S and I thought maybe when I upgraded the problem would disappear.  Wrong.  I am getting the same problem.  That is not to say I don't get any signal.  I do get a signal but it has never been stronger than 3 bars as we are some distance from the mast.  However that is sufficient for most things especially with a strong WiFi signal. The problem seems to be with txt messages and I often get the "failed to send" notification.  My thoughts are that some app or something else on my phone is causing this.  When I upgraded I just "restored from back up" when I set up the 5S.

Anyone any ideas at all - or is this just an enigma!?

Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Phone sounds like it needs surgery.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Could be anything.... Is either phone in a case for example?
I guess you may have had a new sim when you switched phones, but if not, or even if you did, try a sim swap.
Also try your wife's sim in your phone and vice versa......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Thanks for your response. Both phones are in cases. I had a new Sim so i can't see that being a problem.
Regards
Message 3 of 25

MI5
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Without trying the sims in opposite phones you won't be able to tell if it's a phone or potential account issue.
It's possible your phone isn't as sensitive to signals as your wife's is but it's the only way to prove it.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bazil

You could check your masts via http://status.o2.co.uk and look at where your masts are to see if obstructions are in the way via -> http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search ,and also if you have a local Apple Store you could have a diagnostic run at a Genius Bar via appointment -> http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

You can restore the iOS via iTunes or within the phone, and opt to use as a new device ,and see if that helps. You can always use your back up at anytime to restore the data.

A possible help thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Do-you-have-poor-coverage-signal-Indoors-This-ma...
Message 5 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, Thanks for your response. Both phones are in cases. I had a new Sim so i can't see that being a problem.
Regards

I only know of issues being caused by a case is if it's a metal one. 

Message 6 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Picking up on what @MI5 just said about the sensitivity, you may find the answer on here for this kind of Enigmas

Blue Tick Handsets , may be relevant...?

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Coverage-Network/Updated-Blue-Tick-Handsets-List-please/td-p/1...

Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Different phones different antennas?
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

The signal strength the handsets show are often not very accurate.

On the iPhone dial *3001#12345#* at the look at the dBm in the top left corner. Anything over -100 is very poor signal (-70 is the strongest i believe).

This will give you idea of the signal strength the handset is picking up.

Message 9 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The signal strength the handsets show are often not very accurate.

On the iPhone dial *3001#12345#* at the look at the dBm in the top left corner. Anything over 100 is very poor signal (70 is the strongest i believe).

This will give you idea of the signal strength the handset is picking up.

I received ->

Message 10 of 25