cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 not ready for 4G in the UK

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - just found out like many others that the iPhone 5 from 02 wont work on 4G because of the banwidth of 800mhz. I bought the phone on the premise it was 4G ready about 3 months ago. Anyone else think there is customer mis-selling going on here?

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not very happy with o2. In Dec. 2013 I went to one of o2 local branch and signed for two years contract with a iphone 5. I asked salesman twice, is it 4G ready. He replied with confident, yes.

Sadly, most of us believe what they say. We believe or expect saleman have enough knowledge to explain us about phone features, price plan ect. How many of us read this t&c and small print.

I will contact with citizen advice to find out my position. Because of their salesman, I should not be in this position.

Message 21 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

If You have this written on your contract and endorsed / signed then you have a case.

I'd not it's unprovable I'm afraid.

I understand about the t&c but it is your responsibility to read and digest them.

A link about iPhone 5 but it states You can upgrade in contract as long as you bought your iPhone 5 between 21 September 2012 and 31 March 2013
You choose a new phone on a Pay Monthly contract

But your not within that timeline. 😞
http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/phone-promise

Their was lots of info online etc as Quite a few kicked off when the iPhone 5 was not compliant on o2's 4g network but would work on ee's.

As per all the info in the previous posts in this thread.
Message 22 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144622 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
You really need to blame Apple for launching a phone in the UK with limited capability..... The cynic in me would say that was deliberate to get customers to buy the next model a year later wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have read through this post and it all seems pretty self explanatory. But before I read it I had rung O2 to explore my options as my contract is up soon.
I explained to the customer sevice agent that I have an iPhone 5 and am looking to get a Sim only 4g upgrade. She said she can see my iPhone is 4g ready as is my SIM card and I would be able to switch no problems. Why is O2 giving this advice if it is not correct? Have they found a work around now?
Otherwise I'm off to EE where the phone will work without having to pay extra for a new handset.
Message 24 of 37

MI5
  • 144622 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
There is no workaround possible - It's just very poor advice from the advisor 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 37

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It's obviously down to lack of training but it should be basic knowledge in all honesty.

Message 26 of 37

MI5
  • 144622 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
You'll need this link if you are moving to EE (or Three) http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...

Currently using:
Message 27 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume they've looked at a spec sheet which will say it's 4G compatible.

Just not in o2's bands.

One reason why I chose the iPhone 5s to get 4G.
Message 28 of 37

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Bit naughty and downright misleading to try and sell a contract/tariff on the strength of limited  product knowledge.

Message 29 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure we all recall when the iPhone 5 was launched and all the confusion then ref 4G compatibility. You would think lessons would have been learnt from that.

😞
Message 30 of 37