Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

Re: iPhone 5 Price Discrepancies!

@Anonymous wrote:

Has Anyone got any further with this?

I was over charged for my pre-order of a 64GB on the 24 x £41... charged £249.99 instead of £209.99

To add insult to injury my girlfriend was overcharged in Carphone Warehouse on the 32GB 24 x 31 .... Charged £269.99 instead of £249.99.

What on earth is going on?  

How were you 'overcharged'? You chose a route that was more expensive than another. That's a totally different thing to being overcharged.

Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm really annoyed about this, why should I pay O2 more just so they get their phones sooner by using CPW? £40 more than in store?? Insulting.

Buying online is meant to be cheaper.

No one is forcing you to pay the extra. Get one from the store and save £40.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I agree with you in principle, and maybe i chose the wrong word but i resent having to pay more than in-store prices and I'm sure some people who choose deals in store that are randomly more expensive than online will be annoyed. If there was continuity in the prices then none of this would be happening.

I mean look at the inconsistancy in these numbers....

All the prices below are in store... 

64GB - In Store

£449 Cheaper Online

£349 Same

£269 --> More Online £299

£209 --> More Online £249

£169 Same

32GB - In Store

£359 Cheaper Online

£269 Cheaper Online

£209 Cheaper Online

£139 --> More Online £149

£89 --> More Online £99

16GB - In Store

£249 Same

£159 --> More Online £199

£99 Same

£29 --> More Online £49

£0 Same

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you in principle, *snip*

I *sort* of understand what you are saying, but surely it's down to the individual to do their research as to the price of something before they buy it?

I agree it's a little unusual as all appear to be coming from the same source, but it's not that different to most things when comparing retail/online pricing. Some things are cheaper, some more expensive.

Buyer beware 'n all that Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Anonymous

Its a choice for customers to make.  If you want to pre-order and pay a higher price than waiting in-store on friday then that is up to you.  No-one is forcing you to pre-order.  So pay the price or don't pay the price.  

Considering the retail prices were released 6 hours before the online prices, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the retail price was less.

Anonymous

@Pablo

Have your even read what ive said? Seriously...

Its the price discrepancy that im questioning, if this were just a case of it is cheaper in store then this wouldnt be an issue, but its not. Some iphone tariff combinations are cheaper online and different ones are cheaper in store! There is no continuity, it almost looks random and its stinks of strategic price fixing to me!

As an O2 employee i would have thought you'd realise the issue, and if you havent got the authority to make an offical comment you may want to keep your oppinions out of thread that could concern O2 policy.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@xerohour - totally agree with you and think your comments are totally logical and understandable as the price mismatches do not make sense or add up, there was no need even for the previous two commenters to get involved seemingly just to make somewhat  argumentative comments since they were not even affected by this issue and had nothing informative or useful to add as they were not in possession of any facts to answer our questions!

I for one am not a serial complainer, period, about anything usually -  but this did not seem to add up and I just wanted a simple and clear explanation as to why the haphazard pricing discrepancies.

I myself wholeheartedly admit that I did not check the retail prices before pre-ordering online but this is because it never even entered my head that they would be any different to the online prices. Perhaps this is my naivety combined with the fact that I have been on a simplicity contract for several years and am out of the loop - in past years I bought my iphones directly from Apple, this is my first significant contract upgrade, so I therefore had no idea that these prices discrepancies were regular or common practice when a new smartphone is launched, and I obviously wasn't the only one.

If there had just been some kind of warning or text to say on the actual page when pre-ordering that it would be cheaper in store to give people the choice and be fully informed before deciding whether to pre-order or buy in store then that would have been great and eliminated the need for this thread - but in future I will always check.

Having said that and rant over!! -  I am actually just posting to say I just got a reply from the complaints review service since I promised to post when I heard from them.

This is brilliant customer service in my view considering how swamped they must be this week and I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly, just another reason why I don't think I would ever consider leaving O2.

They fully explained that as suspected CPW alone set the prices this time round for pre-ordering so it was out of O2's hands unfortunately -  but as a goodwill gesture they have been kind enough to credit my account due to my having been misinformed and having had quite misleading information via e-chat. 

I must say I am extremely grateful to them and really do appreciate this gesture as they really did not need to do this since the issue seemingly was out of their control entirely - I was mainly looking for a definitive explanation as to why the prices differed in such a random way.

Here is their official response:

Dear Gill

Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been unhappy with the responses to your questions about the new iPhone from our web chat team and that they miss advised you the prices on our web site are wrong. I can appreciate your frustration.

Unfortunately, as we get very little notice prior to iPhone launches it can be difficult for us to make sure all of our advisers have the answer to all the potential questions they may get in the first few days after the announcements. Sometimes you’ll be directed to the team/shop or part of the web site where you’ll most likely be able to get the answers you need.

I’m sorry that on this occasion the web chat advisers weren’t yet equipped to answer why the price of the iPhone deferrers depending on which channel you choose to purchase it from. The reason is that this year we expect there to be unprecedented demand for the iPhone 5 and as a result, we will be acting as an agent for Carphone Warehouse to ensure we can help as many customers as possible to buy an iPhone 5 during this peak period; including those on Pay & Go, and those new to O2. Acting as an agent for CPW will support the unprecedented demand we expect for iPhone 5 during the launch period.

Customers who buy their new iPhone from O2’s website or through our call centres will be buying it from Carphone Warehouse (O2 will be acting as an agent for Carphone Warehouse) and Carphone Warehouse will be setting the price for the iPhones we sell on their behalf.

Unfortunately we can’t change these prices. This arrangement means as many people as possible can get an iPhone 5 on O2, through as many channels as possible (Retail, Online or Telesales), so they can get access to all the benefits of being on O2, including tariffs that get better with age, Priority access to events and experiences, the best customer service in the industry (as concluded by Ofcom), and free exclusive services like Priority Moments.

However, to say sorry for the incorrect information our web chat adviser gave you when he said the prices were incorrect, I’ve credited your account with £36 to cover your first months line rental on your new tariff.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards

Anonymous

@GillB1

Thank you so much for sharing this, im really pleased that you've managed to get a response and the situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. Hopefully i can follow in your footsteps.

Anonymous

You're welcome and good luck also @xerohour - I will keep my fingers crossed for you but don't think you will need it judging by this (I hope), their complaints customer service seems to be spot on!

Anonymous

Well, Managed to get through to O2 customer services (Spoke to a very friendly and helpful lady called Holly) at lunch and they have confirmed that there is nothing they can do about the price discrepancy as its a carphone warehouse generated problem. What they are doing is refunding me the difference between the Online and Instore price as they described it as "unfair" as soon as the handset arrives.

Kudos, to O2 customer service. When you actually get to a person they are incredibly helpful and very friendly!

I recommend anyone who has been effected by the price discrepancy to give them a call (after you receive the handset) on 202 and go to payments.