Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

iPhone 5 Price Discrepancies!

I've just ordered the 16gb iPhone 5, on the £31 per month with 1gb data tariff. I paid £199. Since making the order, i've noticed the link to view the 'in store' prices, and they are all cheaper! The same tariff is £159 for the phone?

Why is this?? Surely online prices should be cheaper than in a retail store?

Can someone from o2 clarify this? I've spoken to three different 'chat' agents and they have all told me different things.

Anonymous

Re: iPhone 5 Price Discrepancies!

Orange are doing it cheaper and so are vodaphone both with 2gb data. It angers me that ive been with o2 over 10 years,yet i can walk straight into a better deal with a rival company

eg 02 £41pm 1gb 49.99 phone

voda £ 42pm 2gb 49.99 phone

orange £41 pm 2gb 29.99 phone

Anonymous

Yes I saw a link on Facebook which states the retail price in 02 store on £41.00 contract as £29.99 for handset,but when I go on line to preorder as upgrade it is £49.99 tried to phone customer services but cannot get through,so phoned my local 02 store who said the £29.99 was correct,and would be same online. So went back to check an still showing £49.99
Highlighted
Anonymous

Anonymous

I don't know if I'm being thick - but surely if you multiply your monthly cost by 24 then add the one off payment - O2 works out the cheapest still Smiley Frustrated

Anonymous

Had the same problem, and have been asking around about it to no avail. I was going for the 64GB model on the £41 x 24 contract and had to pay £249.99 instead of £209.99... 

Customer chat had this to say> 

Filbert: Your order for the iPhone 5 64GB  is placed and you'll get to know the exact delivery dates after the dispatch from us.+
Nick: That's fine but I have a query about the cost of the handset. In the retail price section it lists the handset price on the deal I chose as £209.99
Nick: I was charged £249.99 can you tell me why?
Filbert: May I now how have you placed the order?
Nick: Online, as an upgrade
Filbert: Okay.
Filbert: As the handset is yet not dispatched, you can contact us after its out.
Nick: What does this mean? Wait untill it's delivered and then query it? 
Filbert: Yes as there are no details on the account, the order is just placed and its in the process to be settled up.
Filbert: If you wish you can cancel it and place another.
Filbert: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Nick: Please don't cancel the order, that's not my intention. I just wanted to find out why there is a price difference between upgrade and retail?
Filbert: I'm not canceling the order but the price list is showing to be for retail store and to confirm the exact the order needs to be fulfilled on the account, but as its in progress there are no options.

Go figure, going to call in a few days... 

Anonymous

None of the chat people, or the people that answer the phones can answer this question! It's so frustrating! I'll wait till my phone arrives on Friday then go and speak to a store.

Only thing I can think of is to start up a new contract in store to get it cheaper, then send the phone back from the online contract, cancel ur contract and swap ur number over. What a massive hassle...! O2 haven't got a clue..!
Anonymous

Yes I tried the chat people and he told me was lower price and the link to preorder but. Evidence could do this,it switched to a survey on how well the chat people had been and couldnt turn back as had expired.Phone lines couldn't get through,so have decided to wait and walk into shop,after the release date as object to paying twenty pounds extra to pre order as an upgrade,shame really as apart from this and when I had iphone4,never have any problems with O2 and if there has been they sorted itto my satisfaction
Anonymous

I have only just noticed these discrepancies myself and am also pretty unhappy! I pre-ordered an upgrade to the 64gb on a 24 month £36 contract and was charged £299.99 as my one off fee yet the retail price is apparently £269.99!! Here is my own e-chat transcript, no help unfortunately and the advisor seemingly did not understand or have an answer, I would be really grateful if someone from O2 could comment & clarify for all of us existing customers that have been affected please as surely it can't be correct? 

Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.

We're really busy right now. Thanks for waiting. If you're after the latest information on the iPhone 5 please go
here

Did you know you can find out your upgrade date by logging into MyO2
here. You can also do lots of other stuff like check your bill or change your tariff too.

You're through to Sebastian.

Sebastian: Hi I'm Sebastian. How can I help?

Gillian: Morning Sebastian, hope you can help - I placed an order to upgrade to iphone % a couple of days ago, order ref *******, and was charged £299.99 for the 64gb phone on a £36 a month contract (over 24 months). However - I noticed this morning that your retail price for the phone is £269.99 for this contract, why is it that I was charged almost £30 more, is this an error do you know Sebastian? I would rather cancel I think you see if that can't be refunded unfortunately

Gillian: Iphone 5 that should have said, sorry!

Sebastian: Let me check that for you.

Gillian: Thanks Sebastian

Sebastian: You're welcome.

Sebastian: Thanks for the information. Please give me a few minutes while I check this for you.

Gillian : Thanks very much Sebastian

Sebastian: You're welcome.

Sebastian: I can see that you have ordered APP iPhone 5 64GB Black .

Gillian: I did yes

Sebastian: Its for Unlimited minutes and texts  and 1gb data and Unlimited wifi you have a tariff of £36.

Gillian: That's right yes, but I was charged £299.99 for the phone when on your website, here, http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5/retail it states that the retail charge is only £269.99 with this contract for the phone, why have I been charged £30 more as an existing customer to upgrade? Surely this must be wrong?

Sebastian: I'm sorry but as you have the tariff too with the phone its as per the charges you have mentioned.

Sebastian: The other cost is the one off cost.

Gillian: Have you seen the website Sebastian, where the charges are different? The one off cost is stated to be £269.99 on this contract?

Gillian: On & On, 24 months Monthly cost Minutes Texts Data iPhone 5 16GB iPhone 5 32GB iPhone 5 64GB £26 Unlimited Unlimited 1GB £249.99 £359.99 £449.99 £31 £159.99 £269.99 £349.99 £36 £99.99 £209.99 £269.99 £41 £29.99 £139.99 £209.99 £46 £0.00 £89.99 £169.99

Sebastian: Let me check that for you.

Gillian: Please look at http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5/retail

Gillian: it says monthly cost is £36, one off charge is £269.99 for the £36 contract for 64gb - I have been charged £299.99, not £269.99?

Sebastian: Please give me a few minutes, while I check this for you.

Sebastian: .

Sebastian: These are the retails store prices.

Gillian : Why are the retail store prices different, I know they are the retail prices, why are they different, why is it cheaper, I have been punished for pre-ordering as an existing long standing customer?

Sebastian: I  can see that you are correct .

Sebastian: The charges are wrong .

Sebastian: I will help you with our Upgrades teams number.

Sebastian: They will help you with this.

Level 1: Joiner

[ Edited ]

I've also upgraded and noticed I've had to pay £199 rather than £159 as in the retail store. I managed to get in contact with o2 after a long wait. The reason why upgrade handsets are more expensive than retail is because of the following reason:

O2 have partnered with Carphone Warehouse during this period to help distribute the iPhones quicker. Because the online orders are done through Carphone Warehouse, they get the extra £40s or so per handset, per customer. If that makes sense. i.e. the extra £ addition to the handset goes to Carphone Warehouse as part of their deal.