Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 Loan Phone - Keep or Return?

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Have also posted this on MacRumors but wanted your thoughts as well!

My wife's iPhone 5 recently went into our local Apple Store for a free battery replacement and also a free power button replacement (this was part of Apple's free battery replacement program - the serial number of her phone showed that her phone was eligible for this). Her phone which went in was a 16gb slate grey iPhone 5.

As part of the repair process, she has now been given a 'loan phone' until her phone is repaired (in about 2 weeks time). The loan phone is almost an identical iPhone, however, it is a 16gb white/silver iPhone 5.

Looking through the 'iPhone Loan Agreement' which she has signed, it states that the loan phone, (quote from agreement)'.........at Apple's discretion may be new or refurbished'. Looking at the loan phone, I can confirm that it is indeed, 'new' or 'refurbished' but I reckon it is a brand new one as it looks immaculate.

The agreement, also goes on to say (again, I quote from the actual agreement), '.........in the event that you fail to return the Loan Phone to Apple by the Return Date (i) Apple will obtain full ownership rights in Customer Phone, and may use or dispose of the Customer Phone as Apple sees fit; and (ii) you will obtain full ownership rights in the Loan Phone and accept the Loan Phone provided to you as a full replacement of the Customer Phone.'

Now to me, that implies that if my wife decides to keep the white loaned iPhone 5 (she does indeed want to keep the white phone as she likes the look of this phone alot better than her slate grey one), she can do so if she understands that it will be a direct replacement of her grey slate one and Apple will be fine about this.

Has anyone had any experience in this? Can my wife keep the loaned white iPhone 5 as her own and Apple will keep her slate grey one - no questions asked?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Did you get the name of the person you spoke to at Apple?

Are they going to send you an email or provide you with written confirmation that you are allowed to keep the phone?

Message 11 of 15

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Did you get the name of the person you spoke to at Apple?

Are they going to send you an email or provide you with written confirmation that you are allowed to keep the phone?

...didn't get the name or written confirmation however, I think the T&Cs are quite clear cut now that its also been confirmed over the phone!

I think I am willing to take that risk..............(if you can indeed call it a risk!).

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
What about any warranty status ?

Do you get anything at all ?

Glad you were sorted out and are now sure their will be no ramifications 😄
Message 13 of 15

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
What about any warranty status ?

Do you get anything at all ?

Glad you were sorted out and are now sure their will be no ramifications 😄

...doh D'oh!..forgot to ask them about that but I guess a quick call back would get this answered!

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey if you get say 90 days that's something ?

And worth asking about. 😄
Message 15 of 15