Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S Nightmare

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

This might be a long one i'm afraid

Ive had my iphone 4s for just over a year now and the last month i've been having problems with the sound (Really intermittent, goes a long time without working) I've exhausted every thing possible to try and sort it (Reset, clean dock etc etc)

Yesterday I accidentally dropped my phone and have a crack on the top right (Nothing major, more bothered about the sound to be honest)

When I purchased the phone on contract with 02 I took out Carphone Warehouse's Geeksquad insurance

This morning I thought no worries, i'll give geeksquad a call-I was then to find out my monthly payment to them cancelled for whatever reason and I couldn't reinstate the account when it goes over two months-I asked why I wasn't informed and they said they sent a letter to my address (An address I haven't lived at for over 2 years and have told them time and time again that it is not my current address) The lady on the phone said the system wont allow her to restart the policy but she can add some kind of complaint from me expressing disapointment and I may hear something within 72 hours but not holding out much hope that it will change anything (Yes before anyone says it, I know I should have kept track of the payments but when you've got a million things on it's the last thing on your mind)

I then rangup Apple and was told that it's eleven days out of warranty but they will sort it anyway (Sorted, I thought) Just as they were arranging collection they asked if it had any cracks etc and I said I dropped it yesterday-They then said this has voided the warranty (Even though the hardware problem has been going on for two months now) and that they could offer me a new one for £150, or to try my bank

As I pay £12 a month to my bank for an advanced account for all these wonderful "benefits" I thought aha, yes I must have mobile phone insurance with them; alas no

I have another year on my contract and use this phone to run my business so is a big problem when the sound isn't working and I miss calls-The lady from Apple said just use headphones but it really isn't practical to use headphones all the time!

Sorry everyone, thought it would be a long one-

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks all
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Check home contents insurance etc.

But if not covered the apple offer of an out of warranty repair is the best apart from using a non approved repairer the oow replacement will have 3 months warranty.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Check home contents insurance etc.

But if not covered the apple offer of an out of warranty repair is the best apart from using a non approved repairer the oow replacement will have 3 months warranty.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
As Adam said check your home cover.

If they don't cover damage in your T&Cs then they may cover "loss" of the handset.

Obviously it goes without saying to not phone up and check because they'll log the enquiry.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a word in praise of the Apple out-of-warranty replacement scheme. My wife dropped and smashed her iPhone 4s on a stone floor at 11am last Thursday. Phoned Applecare, and at 9am next day, UPS delivered the replacement.
Yes it costs, but £146 is cheap for effectively a new phone costing £600 or so.
When things go badly wrong it is often better to take it on the nose for a quick and proper solution than, than cheaper repairs or more dubious solutions.
The cost would have been £146 if I had collected it from an Applestore, but I opted to pay £29 for delivery, as the nearest Applestore is an 80 miles round trip.
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
You my friend have been hit with bad luck.

At least you don't have to find over £400 for a new iPhone instead of £150.

I so wish we could have Apple Care + like our friends across the pond.
Message 5 of 9

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

Actually, if you use your phone for your business, you'd probably better claim it on your business insurance rather than your home insurance.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I so wish we could have Apple Care + like our friends across the pond.

What do you mean?

O2 and Apple both sell the extended warranty for iPhones - last I checked it was £50-60 for the year.

Message 7 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Opium apple care plus in the USA covers the accidental damage issue unlike apple care uk.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for explaining Adam. Yeah - that would be good to have!

Message 9 of 9