cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 can receive txt but won't send

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently updated my phone and decided to keep the iPhone 4 as spare on pay and go, it was on contract before. Have reset to factory settings and then updated including IOS 7. Works fine as a phone and receives txts OK but trying to reply to txts just says "Not Delivered". When comparing settings/Messages I notice that send and receive has the email account only and does not show up the mobile phone number, furthermore the IMessage just shows waiting for activation. Completely reset the phone 4 times now but the result is the same: phone works, wifi works, safari works and it receives txts but despite playing various combinations it will not txt.   Has anyone run into this problem? if so was it solved, would welcome any advice

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Danny.

This Apple link may help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

Settings , Messages , iMessage , choose your phone number from there and a tick will appear next to it in ' you can be reached at' and 'start conversations from'

You could also try ; settings , general , reset , reset network settings.

Take into account the messaging centre number for O2 pay monthly and pay as you go are different so ensure it is showing correctly.

Pay Monthly +447802000332 or Pay & Go +447802092035

On your Phone app, go to keypad and type in *#5005*7672# and Call
Message number is displayed.

Check the account by speaking to Uk Customer Services.

O2 Customer Services.
202 for Contract. 4445 for PAYG.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Danny.

This Apple link may help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

Settings , Messages , iMessage , choose your phone number from there and a tick will appear next to it in ' you can be reached at' and 'start conversations from'

You could also try ; settings , general , reset , reset network settings.

Take into account the messaging centre number for O2 pay monthly and pay as you go are different so ensure it is showing correctly.

Pay Monthly +447802000332 or Pay & Go +447802092035

On your Phone app, go to keypad and type in *#5005*7672# and Call
Message number is displayed.

Check the account by speaking to Uk Customer Services.

O2 Customer Services.
202 for Contract. 4445 for PAYG.
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you bandofbrothers for very accurate response. I couldn't select my mobile number as it was not there, only the email address. However my son came home before me and went on O2 chat and the eventual solution was your second option of network settings. So tick VG for an accurate and comprehensive response that would have sorted my problem.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

A follow on question: how do you save the new configuration. Glee from the Chief of Domestics when she could at last text her friends last night and a wigging today when she found it had reverted to 'failed to transmit' this morning when switched back on. It appears to dump the revised message centre configuration when the phone is switched off and although going through the process sets it up again, its going to be a pain having to do that every time. 

Message 4 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147299 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions
It's possible you have the wrong SIM card ie a contract one for a PAYG account.
The message setting numbers are pre stored on the sim and the phone reads the settings from the sim when you start it up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

And it's most probably as Mi5 says.

Visit an O2 shop and Pick up the correct sized blank sim card for your account type.

They can perform the sim swap in-store for you.

Or have one sent out to you and action the swap yourself

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that, yet another cunning twist in what looked like a simple conversion job.

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
An adventure with an ending in sight I'm sure.
Message 8 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147299 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions
There's nothing "simple" anymore slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again guys, lives pathway is strewn with the devils cowpats (Blackadder) and this little exercise seems to bear this out.

Message 10 of 12