Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad locked

Sarahh112
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I got given an iPad by my daughter as she has upgraded to a new one.

It’s from O2 and a cellular one, but it’s only ever been used over WiFi and never had a SIM in it.

I’m looking to get a cheap pay and go data SIM for it. Are iPads like iPhones in that they lock to the network of the first SIM used in it, or would it be automatically locked to O2.

I haven’t tried it with a SIM card to see if it is locked yet, as I didn’t want to risk locking it to another provider by mistake.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Hi @Sarahh112 

It will be locked to O2.

How to unlock here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Hi @Sarahh112 

It will be locked to O2.

How to unlock here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Sarahh112
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply. I had a look at the link you sent me, but it seems to be for an iPhone rather than an iPad.

i tried to use the unlock ‘other’ option but it’s asking for a 15 digit IMEI, whereas my iPad has a 13 digit one.

Kind regards 

Sarah 

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'd use the iPhone option - the process is the same.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Sarahh112, I was wondering if you had managed to make any progress with this since you last posted? Did @MI5's suggestion help? 

Welcome to the forum!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 10

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Just thought I would mention that the last 3 iPads I have bought from O2 have all been unlocked so it’s possible the OPs may be too

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@davethorp wrote:

Just thought I would mention that the last 3 iPads I have bought from O2 have all been unlocked so it’s possible the OPs may be too

Thanks for that info @davethorp and nice to see you back wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yes, that's interesting.....
I've had 2 Android tablets and an iPad mini, all were locked.....
Maybe they had a change of mind since I had mine?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

The ones I’ve had that have been unlocked have been 10.5” iPad Pro, 12.9” iPad Pro (2nd Gen) and 12.9” iPad Pro (3rd Gen)

The Apple Sim was locked down on the 10.5” and 12.9” 2nd gen but the nano sim slot was unlocked

And thanks for the welcome back @Cleoriff. I’ve not been around so much as I’m mostly on EE these days but I do have some lines on O2 now including a dual sim line in my XS Max so I might be around a bit more again

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@davethorp wrote:

And thanks for the welcome back @Cleoriff. I’ve not been around so much as I’m mostly on EE these days but I do have some lines on O2 now including a dual sim line in my XS Max so I might be around a bit more again

Look forward to that @davethorp wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10