cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad Pro fails to roam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have pay monthly o2 Sim in both iPhone and iPad Pro. Both are enabled for continental roaming both on the device and with the appropriate add-on. But I have failed to get the iPad to roam in France on two occasions and as I cross the channel again, seems like a third time, even on the new no surcharge data roaming. I've done all the usual things and checked settings on device and on the account- but no luck. Any other suggestions? The iPad accesses data in the U.K. just fine. My phone is fine with data in both Uk and France.
Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Unfortunately data only tariffs (tablets, MIFI, data SIMO) don't support roaming I'm afraid, they're only for use in the UK - so changing the O2 Travel bolt on won't help with this. There's nothing to stop you using a voice sim with data allowance in your iPad Pro whilst you're roaming, subject to the usual caveats of the FUP and the performance limitations, but your data sim won't work whilst you're outside the UK at all. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms 

4.4 Inclusive data on our Pay Monthly tariffs can't be used for data that is accessed from outside of our Europe Zone and will be charged and if you’re on a data-only (Mobile Broadband) tariff, data can only be used in the UK. If not covered by a Bolt On or travel package (such as O2 Travel), data roaming charges include additional third party network operator charges and may be significant. Data usage may also be capped whilst you're abroad. You can get more information on standard data charges outside of our Europe Zone, special Bolt On and Travel packages and data caps, at o2.co.uk/international.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If the ipad is on a data only sim it would never have worked abroad as the data is for UK use only.
O2 let you add the travel bolt on but it did nothing.
(business users differ).
What will happen now with the new rules I can't say for sure although o2 have now said it should work when in EU.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Actually, there is some suspicion that having o2 travel enabled might still adversely affect this so try removing the travel bolt on.
Customer services or live chat can do this for you http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 20

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Unfortunately data only tariffs (tablets, MIFI, data SIMO) don't support roaming I'm afraid, they're only for use in the UK - so changing the O2 Travel bolt on won't help with this. There's nothing to stop you using a voice sim with data allowance in your iPad Pro whilst you're roaming, subject to the usual caveats of the FUP and the performance limitations, but your data sim won't work whilst you're outside the UK at all. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms 

4.4 Inclusive data on our Pay Monthly tariffs can't be used for data that is accessed from outside of our Europe Zone and will be charged and if you’re on a data-only (Mobile Broadband) tariff, data can only be used in the UK. If not covered by a Bolt On or travel package (such as O2 Travel), data roaming charges include additional third party network operator charges and may be significant. Data usage may also be capped whilst you're abroad. You can get more information on standard data charges outside of our Europe Zone, special Bolt On and Travel packages and data caps, at o2.co.uk/international.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 4 of 20

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Martin has previously said these should now work in all EU countries.
How can we use our allowances if o2 still restrict it to uk only?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 20

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@Martin-O2 perhaps you could confirm officially for me, but certainly my understanding is that roaming was not permitted on any data only contract at all, as per the T&C's? 

This was one of my own bugbears @MI5 as I have a tablet on a Refresh deal with a high data allowance, and was looking forward to using it when I travel within Europe, but alas was informed that it was not going to be possible. This is also the information we are relaying to customers, so it would be good to have some clarification particularly if this isn't the case. 

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Same for me.
My tablet never worked no matter what when in France.
I specifically asked this question because of that and was told it will now work?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for help.. I did a text guru chat on Saturday and the guru said that after some account changes it should definitely work- might take up to 24 hours.. 36 hours later no luck, so I did another text chat just now, only to be told that data sim can only be used in UK, as per later messages. Rather frustrating and perplexing that 02 are telling me two different and contradictory things (and the first text chat truncated unexpectedly right at the end, so I didn't get to save the transcript). I'd be interested in hearing if others have had more success, otherwise I'll be looking elsewhere...

Message 8 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys I'll ask for clarification on what happens with data only tariff's with the new roaming rules taken into account. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Wa10 @Anonymous I've had a response and unfortunately both MBB data only tariffs will remain UK data only.  

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 20