Did you mean: 

iMessage not activating - O2 issue

DanielJamesBall
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning,

I have an issue whereby I have factory reset my iPhone 13 (running latest software) and iMessage won't activate. The error message I get is "iMessage activation unsuccessful". Signing out of iCloud doesn't work, I have factory reset the phone with Apple too.

I have been on the phone/screen share with Apple support for over an hour and they are convinced it is an O2 issue and advised I contact my carrier. I got through on the phone and was advised someone from the technical team would contact me, but they haven't.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I am at the point now whereby I probably need to just cancel my contract with O2 and go with someone else as other people's sim cards work in my phone. I was advised by O2 on the phone its likely not a physical issue with the sim.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@DanielJamesBall 

All o2 will check and can check to be honest is can the user send and receive text messages, and if the answer is yes then its back to Apple, as the carrier has no involvement in the back end service. 

Did you port the number in from anywhere or is a new number? 

All I can do is point you back to Apple, as not sure why they think a factory reset or signing out of iCloud would help, as its all linked by UUID to your phone. 

All I can suggest is message o2 on social media or call them up on 202, and get back in touch with Apple Support. 

If you want to cancel, and are outside of the 14days then you will need to pay off your device plan, as iMessage doesn't form part of your contract.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@DanielJamesBall 

All o2 will check and can check to be honest is can the user send and receive text messages, and if the answer is yes then its back to Apple, as the carrier has no involvement in the back end service. 

Did you port the number in from anywhere or is a new number? 

All I can do is point you back to Apple, as not sure why they think a factory reset or signing out of iCloud would help, as its all linked by UUID to your phone. 

All I can suggest is message o2 on social media or call them up on 202, and get back in touch with Apple Support. 

If you want to cancel, and are outside of the 14days then you will need to pay off your device plan, as iMessage doesn't form part of your contract.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 8

tdw197
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@DanielJamesBall - did you manage to solve this? I have exactly the same problem - other SIMs in the same phone activate perfectly so its clearly an O2 issue.  Tech support say they cannot help though..

Message 3 of 8

DanielJamesBall
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi tdw197,

No, it wasn't resolved. I had to change my number in the end. I feel I am due some compensation as I use my phone for work and they now tell me they cannot recover my old number. Ridiculous. Apple were extremely helpful and called me every day until the issue was "resolved". O2 on the other hand didn't call back, and frankly didn't care. I was asked by Apple to get some very specific information from the O2 technical team, I asked the questions and the first time I was cut off and the second time they said they "didn't give out that information" and I was told they have done everything they can and I should change my number.

I was sick to death of not being able to use my phone so changed my number so I could carry on working effectively. Clearly an O2 issue as the phone now works with an O2 sim, with a different number. They just didn't care. I asked to cancel my contract as they have messed up my number/account and they said I would be charged a fee! Couldn't believe it.

Don't hold your breath.

Dan

Message 4 of 8

tdw197
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks very much for the response (wonder who marked the second post as a 'solution'?)

I was worried it would end up with something like this - did you try a SIM swap? That was going to be my first option. This is also going to be for my work, but as I haven't started yet if a number swap is required I'd be keen to do it ASAP.  

Message 5 of 8

SQH94
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@tdw197 @DanielJamesBall how did you get on in the end? im having the same issue. read another thread where some o2 comm people were helping users but no one ever posted whether they had their issue resolved, and the o2 comms went through basic troubleshooting then sent me to apple who ive already spoken to and theyve told me its an O2 issue. SIm swap didn't help.

have tried everything and cannot get imessage and facetime to active. have been on EE for years with no issues and its after the recent port this has happened. Frustrated. And reading you had to change your number gives me sadness as thats the last thing i want to do!!!

Message 6 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6261 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

There seems to be a problem when SIM cards have a number ported in. Actually I've seen the same on other networks.

Obtain a new blank SIM from O2 or one of the stores seems to fix things in many cases.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 8

SQH94
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have already tried that with no success. Same error. 

Message 8 of 8