cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use my iPhone 5 on 4G without extra charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have always used my phone with WiFi in my home, but set on 3G in mobile data. Our Internet service has had problems recently, so I have used my phone on 4G a couple of times just to make important email contact with people. Does this type of use result in extra charges. I am on a very simple tarrif, paying about £10/month for airtime, and  £15/month device payment.  Is 4G  type of contract a different thing?  Sorry for sounding stupid, but I have never thought about it before today, and just dont know what the situation is.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 4G is data and gives you faster speeds.  ....It shouldn't affect your tariff....unless you start using it to surf the internet a lot more. Continue to use Wifi when you can and check out your usage and bills via my O2

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 4G is data and gives you faster speeds.  ....It shouldn't affect your tariff....unless you start using it to surf the internet a lot more. Continue to use Wifi when you can and check out your usage and bills via my O2

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27658 Solutions
4g doesn't cost any extra and you get the full amount of your data allowance.
Once used up, data will just stop working until next month so you won't get extra charges for excessive use either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much. This is what I thought was the case. Our Internet is now back on !! It is good to know I can use this 4G in emergencies, especially to contact my Broadband Supplier when their own network is down.
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27658 Solutions
Using the MyO2 app on your phone is also an easy way to track your allowances, so you'll always know where you are.
http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-o2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thankyou for this information. That is a relief. I will however, leave it turned off unless needed. !
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27658 Solutions
Very sensible slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't think iPhone 5 had 4G
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27658 Solutions

In some areas it's possible http://www.silicon.co.uk/networks/broadband/o2-4g-spectrum-coverage-175194

O2 will start rolling out the 1800MHz band in London before expanding to other cities later this year. An added bonus is that older iPhones will be able to access O2 4G for the first time.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9