Did you mean: 

blacklisted iphone

K8ie1892
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
hey all,

so my mum passed away last year and my dad contacted o2 to let them no that she would no longer be able to pay her contract. they stopped her contract and that but what i want to know is would they have blacklisted her iphone? or can i still insert a sim and use it? also if i can’t use it how would i be able to take it off the blacklist and possibly use it again?

many thanks
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Sorry for your loss

If an outstanding balance was due against the phone that would be paid for out of your mum's estate. If there was no estate the balance should be written off

Either way the handset should not have been blacklisted and will work if you put your own sim in it. It may however be locked to O2 depending on when your mum bought the phone as recent phones on O2 are unlocked but O2 did lock their handsets in the past

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@K8ie1892 it is unlikely they will have blacklisted her iPhone and usually this is reserved for phones that are lost or stolen, the only question may be around if there was any outstanding balance on the device plan
Message 2 of 6

K8ie1892
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
i think she had some outstanding balance on her account but we didn’t have to pay it off cuz of the circumstances they just stopped the contract, i would have to ask my dad as he was the one that made the call!

thanks for your reply
Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@K8ie1892 

Sorry about the loss of your Mum.heart

I think the question remains as to whether your dad paid off the outstanding balance when he informed O2.

If he did, then the phone should work. If he didn't then O2 may have placed a bar on the account as it was no longer active,

The only way to find out for sure is to try a new sim in the phone to see if it works. Or contact customer services... NOT Live chat and see what they have to say. https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, it shouldn’t be blacklisted.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Sorry for your loss

If an outstanding balance was due against the phone that would be paid for out of your mum's estate. If there was no estate the balance should be written off

Either way the handset should not have been blacklisted and will work if you put your own sim in it. It may however be locked to O2 depending on when your mum bought the phone as recent phones on O2 are unlocked but O2 did lock their handsets in the past

Message 6 of 6