cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another question about e-mail and smtp.o2.co.uk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to add another thread about outgoing e-mail but reading through many others I still can't set it to work.

What works on my phone is:

Host Name:  smtp.o2.co.uk

Username:  firstnamelastname

Password:   ***********

Use SSL: No

Authentication: Password

Server Port: 25

In trying to set up my wife's e-mail I have tried the above and it doesn't work: "user name or password are incorrect".

Her O2 username is her e-mail address. How does a username that is an e-mail address become available as an o2.co.uk address and do I need to include the "@o2.co.uk" bit?

Aaargggghhhhh!! 

Thanks

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23403 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3726 Solutions
Message 8 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

You may have to create an alternative e mail address via Gmail or Hotmail as O2 email is defunct unless you migrated to sky and then it will only usable for so long.
Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146064 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28105 Solutions
Are you an O2/Sky broadband user?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Her O2 username is an e-mail address at virgin net. Into the Username and Password fields I am entering those that are used to log into My O2 (and this page).

From the various threads I read I got the impression that an xxxx@o2.co.uk address was necessary to use smtp.o2.co.uk?

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, my ISP is virgin media. I just want to use the smtp.o2.co.uk to be able to send e-mails when away from home wi-fi.

Message 5 of 17

Bambino
  • 23403 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3726 Solutions

You don't want to use the O2 smtp settings. It's my understanding that by next month all of O2's email servers will be shut down. You'd be much better off using your Virgin Media smtp settings, or set up a Gmail account and use that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Won't O2 block access to Virgin Media's smtp server when I am on 3G, etc.?
Message 7 of 17

Bambino
  • 23403 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3726 Solutions
Message 8 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your idevice should all but set this up for you.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 10 of 17