Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Level 9: Fired up

With o2's coverage whats the point of 3g?

O2's coverage is so crap why would apple choose o2 for their great iphone? You get all the services but not the signal. I live in a major town i can't get edge or 3g with o2, but i can with t mobile orange and vodafone. Why is O2 so poor?
Anonymous

I had asked myself that very question and after asking a few questions got the following answers.....

First o2 has just updated the coverage map, until around a week ago I couldnt get 3g or HSDPA but now I can, having spoken to someone very well informed.... I was told the following and it sort of sounds like it could be true...

1) O2 do not share a network with any other mobile companies like 3, vodafone, orange and T mobile do as a result had to start from scratch

2) The site transmitters in some if not most locations needed to be changed to allow 3g/high speed data these will give better signal no doubt.

3) 3g is not as strong as GSM so you need more sites to give you the same coverage.

Until the start of May o2 had failed to reach the required roll out target of their 3g network as set out by ofcom when they got a 3g licence. Ofcom have now confirmed they have met this target and intend to carry on building a better 3g netwtork this maybe why the coverage map is getting updated.

I used to find edge coverage at best patchy but as I said above in the locations where I work have got better. You may want
to look on sitefinder and see what transmitters are close to you.

Yes you maybe able to get a tmobile or vodafone 3g coverage but as they use a shared network it could be twice as busy so whilst you may get a signal doesnt mean you would get any speed or connection.

I would keep an eye on the 3g coverage in your area see if it gets any better...
Level 9: Fired up

3G

Cheers mate. That was better explained than what o2 said to me.
Anonymous

Fully agree that O2 coverage is improving all the time. I work for a Multinational whose company phones have been with O2 for many years, including 3G. We used to have cause to complain that national GPRS - and later 3G - coverage was sub-optimal to say the least (well cr*p actually!), even in major cities, but that has changed massively over the last few months or so, to the extent that I can now sometimes get signal when friends with other providers cannot.

So I don't have any great qualms about an iPhone on O2 3G now... bring it on (please!).
Anonymous

I went to the site sitefinder
And half the webpages would not load the ones that did im still no nearer
thanks ippyboi for making it a bit easier to
understand

I had asked myself that very question and after asking a few questions got the following answers.....
First o2 has just updated the coverage map, until around a week ago I couldnt get 3g or HSDPA but now I can, having spoken to someone very well informed.... I was told the following and it sort of sounds like it could be true...
1) O2 do not share a network with any other mobile companies like 3, vodafone, orange and T mobile do as a result had to start from scratch
2) The site transmitters in some if not most locations needed to be changed to allow 3g/high speed data these will give better signal no doubt.
3) 3g is not as strong as GSM so you need more sites to give you the same coverage.
Until the start of May o2 had failed to reach the required roll out target of their 3g network as set out by ofcom when they got a 3g licence. Ofcom have now confirmed they have met this target and intend to carry on building a better 3g netwtork this maybe why the coverage map is getting updated.
I used to find edge coverage at best patchy but as I said above in the locations where I work have got better. You may want
to look on sitefinder and see what transmitters are close to you.
Yes you maybe able to get a tmobile or vodafone 3g coverage but as they use a shared network it could be twice as busy so whilst you may get a signal doesnt mean you would get any speed or connection.
I would keep an eye on the 3g coverage in your area see if it gets any better...
Anonymous

Keep looking at sitefinder for your nearest cell site, its always a good tool.

As for o2's roll out, I am hoping that the wait will be worth it. With the new equipment and a non shared 3g it makes for much better surfing. Dont be fooled by all these mobile web ie vodafone who say you can surf at 7.2 megs... most of their sites are uk airports.... so does any of the other networks really have an advantage
Anonymous

A good point about the non-sharing 3G and the selling of a realistically impossible dream by the 3G "dongle" providers...

A couple of friends of mine design 3G base stations for Ericsson in Sweden (the equipment used by several UK operators): they say that as more people use a 3G cell, the (much) worse the speed becomes - and, as you might expect, people on the outer edge of the cell coverage suffer the worst. Although this also happens with Edge, I wonder what, in practice, the differences will be?

Still looking forward to the new phone though!
Anonymous

in general, you wont have a problem making a voice call on 3g on O2. I am told you can have upto 14 HSDPA users per cell, but this divides the available capacity between them... 3-4 normal UMTS users per cell (data) before downgrading of service starts happening.. so if you are on a netowrk who shares a cell or network.... work the numbers!
Anonymous

Yep, O2 has a distinct advantage...
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yep, O2 has a distinct advantage...

All the claims of faster network access as they do not share their network mean absolutely squat if they do not have coverage in your area!

At least 3 etc have coverage on the Isle of Wight. Even if it is patchy it actually exists!
I cannot get edge coverage let alone 3G.
O2 are far and away the worst for coverage in my area, unless of course you look at their coverage map then I should have good reception...

Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad