Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

Wifi login

This isn't specifically an i-phone question but I am asking it here because i-phone users will possibly be able to answer it best.

I have a PAYG SIM and a handset (NOT an i-phone) which supports WiFi. I am thinking of subscribing to the O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On but wondering if it is in any way technically restricted to i-phones?

Customer service said the tariff is officially supported only with an i-phone and could not provide me with any more details as a non i-phone customer, but I was welcome to try activating the bolt on if I wished...

The online t&cs don't refer specifically to the i-phone (see http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/iphone# ) .

The following thoughts occur to me:
- for the gprs side, I don't foresee a problem as the handset already has the settings and I presumably just stop getting my balance debited per usage
- for the Wireless LAN side, I will need a login or some form of authentication to use the partners' wireless ethernet access points. Does O2 deliver the details manually, or does it try to force them onto the device in an apple-specific way (which I could presumably either not receive or not use)? I am wondering whether the hot spots authenticate via mac address or mobile number or what, and if by mac address do you have to let o2 know your mac address?

Any advice / experience gratefully received.

(My handset is a Nokia E65 but my question is more general about how the settings are delivered / how access is configured)
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,850
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Wifi login

[ Edited ]
from this page http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/bol ... ygoboltons
Web Bolt Ons
All the web time you can handle, so you can surf as much as you like
O2 Web
£7.50 per month
Unlimited usage on O2 Active or mobile internet subject to fair use.
More about O2 Web

O2 Web & Wi-Fi for iPhone
£10 per month
Unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi to use with an iPhone only.
More about O2 Web & Wi-Fi

says web&wi-fi for iphone only.

The login process is input your iphones mobile number in, that then associates the iphone mac address with the cloud / bt openzone
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Wifi login

Thanks for the reply with precise reply to login question.

Regarding "iphone only", that was my point exactly, O2 had already told me that the tariff is only supported with an iphone but it isn't necessarily technically incompatible with other handsets, nor commercially restricted by t&cs

I will try it for a month!
Highlighted

Wifi login

All I can say is that there is a list of valid iphone mac adresses and the system will know yours is not an iphone. So it may not work.
Apple Watch series 4
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Wifi login

...there is a list of valid iphone mac adresses...

Do you mean by virtue of the first 3 bytes of the MAC address that identify the manufacturer, or by virtue of O2 providing a valid-list of its customers' devices (which would presumably prevent someone bringing an unlocked i-phone bought elsewhere onto this tariff)? Where is your source for this info?

Not trying to undermine your advice, just £10 is quite a lot for me to risk (if I wasn't skint I might just buy an i-phone and stop worrying)

Thanks
Highlighted

Wifi login

well from others posting about payg iphones and using the sim in another handset they get a warning that the bolton will be cancled I would search the forums.

That was my source of the info I have given being a customer like you. eg viewtopic.php?t=38023&highlight=web+wifi

But for a definative answer only o2 can advise you.
Apple Watch series 4