Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2's 4G Data SO LOUSY????

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Yep, me again, complaining about O2's ridiculius 4G coverage EVERYWHERE!!!!

Normally, I'd be saying its VERY poor at London Bridge rail station (well, actually, it STILL is) however, these last few months, its literally VERY POOR EVERYWHERE..........:smileysad:

Main areas I am talking about:

• London Bridge Rail Station - 4G is pretty much non existant. 4G typically has 2-3 bars wheras 3G has a full 5 bars and 3G is actually more than twice as fast loading apps/websites.
  • In my office, near Canon Street - post code EC4N 8AD  (where I sit next to window, so this should not make ANY difference). 4G gets 1 to 2 bars of service, 3G gets a FULL 5 bars.3G is more than twice the speed of 4G.
  • At Sanderstead Rail station - 4G gets 1 to 2 bars of service, 3G gets a FULL 5 bars and again, is more than twice as fast as 4G.

Its EVERYWHERE - 4G is ridiculous........... so much so, that I have decided to just leave my iPhone 6, connected via 3G ALL THE TIME (there are options to switch from 3G to 4G and vice versa) purely because its MUCH MUCH faster, browsing app and websites than 4G.

4G?

No thank you - its utterly broken. Destroy

Rolleys

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie Wow Astounded

This is the fastest I've got with my network, which I thought was fast slight_smile

IMG_0837.PNG

Message 52 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DinoF wrote:
I'v gotta say, a change may be looming come September time.............

Keep us posted on if you change networks and your experience.

Defintely worth getting a pay as you go sim for EE to try them out for a few weeks, in the areas you use your phone the most. Especially, if you would be looking at commiting to a contract with them.

When I tried them out, I got a £15 everything pack (but you can get them for £10 with less data, minutes, and everything packs under £10 do not have the double speed 4G, but the 4G is still way fast enough).

Message 53 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@DinoF wrote:
I'v gotta say, a change may be looming come September time.............

Keep us posted on if you change networks and your experience.

Defintely worth getting a pay as you go sim for EE to try them out for a few weeks, in the areas you use your phone the most. Especially, if you would be looking at commiting to a contract with them.

When I tried them out, I got a £15 everything pack (but you can get them for £10 with less data, minutes, and everything packs under £10 do not have the double speed 4G, but the 4G is still way fast enough).

....getting a Pay as You Go sim is probably more trouble than its worth -  I'd have to keep topping it up, give everybody my new Pay as You go mobile number, change all the relevant settings on my iPhone, and actually have to keep track of how many calls, how many texts and how much data I would be using...Crazy  Not sure I could be bothered to do all that just for the sake of 1 or 2 weeks (whilst testing out the EE network).

Simply put - switching to EE CANNOT be any worse than my experiences which I have had with O2's, frankly RIDICULOUS non existant 4G service in and around the London Bridge area.

• I don't care if there is a mast not working in the area
  • I don't care if its because there are too many people accessing the network here and making it congested
  • I don't care that O2 "have invested heavily in ther network" (which I was told by O2 on Twitter)

The facts remain that I first reported these issues way back at the beginning of May (via DMing O2 on Twitter). Nothing has changed since then.

EE advertise on TV that you can stream Spotify or iTunes Music via their network, which itself, is pretty impressive. O2's 4G network would make this an impossibility - hell, I can't even open a normal webage on 4G, at London Bridge, because 4G is snail paced (slower than 3G - go figure Destroy )

Enough is enough - its time for change.

As soon as the iPhone 7 is announced on Wednesday, I will be looking at EE for my next contract.

Wave

Message 54 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah you would have to tell every one your new number while trying them out, thats a pain.

But with regards to settings. I didnt have to change any. Just put the sim in and I was up and running.

The £15 Everything pack gives you unlimited texts, 500 minutes, and 2GB of data. Its not like the old pay as you go where the amount you topped up by, was deducted when you made a call, text, used data. The everything packs work like a contract/sim only contract would work, and by that I mean, you pay an amount per month, and you get a bundle of minutes, data, unlimited texts. Also after every three months you can choose a free boost, which you can choose either 500 MB of data or 50 extra minutes. These will then be added on, on your next top up. Any boosts you've earned will be kept from then on and in another three months you can choose another free boost (500 MB or 50 extra minutes) and this will be added on top of any other free boosts you've had previously. I started off last year when I went to EE with 2 GB of data, I now have 4 GB of data for the same price.

Regarding EE advert. I regularly stream Apple Music/stream music, watch You Tube videos and these work flawlessly. I could not do these reliable with O2. The picture quality on You Tube when I was with O2 was appalling, due to the slow data speeds. And mostly, would take that long to start playing and then kept buffering, I used to get fed up and watch it later when I was back home. Basically I was paying O2 for data, that I could not make use of.

From what you have been told and how long ago this was, I agree enough is enough, I felt exactly the same with O2 and wanted to move to a more reliable network. I've been with EE for just over 12 months and couldnt be happier.

Keep us posted with your experience @DinoF slight_smile

Message 55 of 59

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Now i know I'm not in the same place so not a direct comparison, but the speed on 4g (and h) is fine for me while browsing. I don't stream music or video on mobile so again not an issue. My problem is that i tend to have no signal when i need it. But this is normally in the sticks so no surprises...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 56 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...sorry to go a little scewif off the subject but to saveme from starting a new thread, anyone know how to request my PAC code from O2? Can this be done online + how long does it take to actually receive this?!

Message 57 of 59

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Contract customers can get it via live chat or calling 202 and choosing the option to leave O2. They will text you the PAC as soon as they give it to you but be prepared for offers to stay with O2. There is no online process alas.

Message 58 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Contract customers can get it via live chat or calling 202 and choosing the option to leave O2. They will text you the PAC as soon as they give it to you but be prepared for offers to stay with O2. There is no online process alas.

..cheers jonsie - appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: PAC code recieved already after speaking with O2 Chat!!! I remember the days when the PAC code was a LONG 15+ digit number!!! The one I received was only 6 digits!!!

Message 59 of 59