Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2's 4G Data SO LOUSY????

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Yep, me again, complaining about O2's ridiculius 4G coverage EVERYWHERE!!!!

Normally, I'd be saying its VERY poor at London Bridge rail station (well, actually, it STILL is) however, these last few months, its literally VERY POOR EVERYWHERE..........:smileysad:

Main areas I am talking about:

• London Bridge Rail Station - 4G is pretty much non existant. 4G typically has 2-3 bars wheras 3G has a full 5 bars and 3G is actually more than twice as fast loading apps/websites.
  • In my office, near Canon Street - post code EC4N 8AD  (where I sit next to window, so this should not make ANY difference). 4G gets 1 to 2 bars of service, 3G gets a FULL 5 bars.3G is more than twice the speed of 4G.
  • At Sanderstead Rail station - 4G gets 1 to 2 bars of service, 3G gets a FULL 5 bars and again, is more than twice as fast as 4G.

Its EVERYWHERE - 4G is ridiculous........... so much so, that I have decided to just leave my iPhone 6, connected via 3G ALL THE TIME (there are options to switch from 3G to 4G and vice versa) purely because its MUCH MUCH faster, browsing app and websites than 4G.

4G?

No thank you - its utterly broken. Destroy

Rolleys

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

More and more I hear about O2’s data. 4G wasn’t (and still isn’t available in my area) but the 3G speeds I got were shocking and unusable most of the time. In the end up I had to switch networks.

With the network I moved to I get excellent 3G & 4G coverage and speeds. The 4G speeds I get (I’m on double speed 4G) are faster than the landline fibre broadband I have at home. I can stream video, music effortlessly now. Most of my friends are on O2 and all of them complain about the appalling speeds and data coverage in our area. All of them are planning on moving to the network I moved to after leaving O2, once their contracts are up.

It’s been mentioned before, but it seems that parts of O2’s network are oversubscribed and there is not enough capacity. Little comfort for the people on that network.

...let me guess what your network you are referrig to?!!! Its EE isn't it?!

My O2 2 year contract naturally expires this September, so I may actually be looking at leaving for this very reason. The data problems I have been experiencing seem to be all over the place - London, Surrey and everywhere in between Crazy  And its not a recent issue either - its been ongoing for months and months and actually quoite tired of it......

EE's coverage checker shows FULL 4G at London Bridge:

EE Coverage.JPG

...on O2's network, 4G is NON EXISTENT at this same location (3G is more than double the speed of 4G)

Additionally, at my home location, on O2, I typicall get only 1 to 2 bars of 4G and yet on EE, its a full 5 bars of 4G (according to their coverage checker).

I'v gotta say, a change may be looming come September time.............

Message 21 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DinoF wrote:

...let me guess what your network you are referrig to?!!! Its EE isn't it?!

It is.

Message 22 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine too had been going on for most of the year (poor data etc). I foolishly decided to stop with O2 for another year. But in 2015, I'd had enough and moved from O2 after around 16 years.

Message 23 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine too had been going on for most of the year (poor data etc). I foolishly decided to stop with O2 for another year. But in 2015, I'd had enough and moved from O2 after around 16 years.

...yea, in the same boat here! Have been with O2 since the BT Cellnet days but over the last 2 or 3 years, signal coverage and 4G data speeds, have become gradually worse and worse.

This alone is reason to change:

EE faster.JPG

"79% faster than O2"  - DAYAM!!! That IS a shocker!!!! Astounded

Roll on September..............

Message 24 of 59

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @DinoF,

I'll make sure to share all of this with the rest of the team and hopefully you can see some improvement before you have to make a decision. I shall also be sure to update on any news about congestion improvements.

Have you tested other networks in the same areas of London yourself?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 25 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Sorry, but I had to correct the spelling in the title - My OCD couldn't cope any longer tongue

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 59

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Nicely tidied !
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 27 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DinoF wrote:

EE's coverage checker shows FULL 4G at London Bridge:

EE Coverage.JPG

...on O2's network, 4G is NON EXISTENT at this same location (3G is more than double the speed of 4G)

Additionally, at my home location, on O2, I typicall get only 1 to 2 bars of 4G and yet on EE, its a full 5 bars of 4G (according to their coverage checker).

You do know that coverage checkers aren't accurate, don't you?

O2's checker says the same, full 4G coverage for London Bridge (but also there is a problem at the mo).

Live results for London Bridge, London, England

• Sorry a phone mast in this area isn't working

This means your service might come and go until we fix it.

Updated 10:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

•  
  •  
    Normal coverage for Voice, text and email (2G)
    Making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.
    Good indoors and outdoors.
  •  
    Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)
    Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.
  •  
    Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (4G)
    Seamless connectivity and mobile internet.
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 59

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Before I renewed my link with o2 in March I tried an EE sim to check what coverage was like. (Didn't test speeds as I only used a PAYG sim to check signal.)
While EE had a slightly better signal in some areas, around my home, work and where my family live I get usable 4G on both so stuck with o2 figuring at least I know what to expect from them.
Plus with the cashback deal I got there was not much difference in cost over the length of the contract (less than £10 I think).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 29 of 59

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Sorry, but I had to correct the spelling in the title - My OCD couldn't cope any longer tongue

...where was the spelling mistake?! Smiley Embarassed

Message 30 of 59