cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I been charged for sending pictures when I know not to send them

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been charged for 7 instances within messages for supposedly sending a picture, which I never do as I know I will get charged as this is not covered within my contract. So the question is why ? 

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been charged for 7 instances within messages for supposedly sending a picture, which I never do as I know I will get charged as this is not covered within my contract. So the question is why ? 

Auto conversion, adding a subject line or sending to an email address.

Go into settings and turn MMS off which will stop MMS function completely on your phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Anonymous 

If you read the previous threads about this,you will probably find the answer.

Most phones will warn you they are converting the sms to mms, but if u have an iphone they don't.

One of the most common scenarios with iphones is if the message is longer than 160 characters it converts to mms instead of spliting it into several sms. Hope you have found your answer slight_smile

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
iPhones do have a toggle setting to turn MMS off if you or others reading this thread are using.

Settings -> Messages -> MMS Messaging. -> Toggle Off.
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous If my memory serves me right there is another feature on some phones (or maybe it is a feature of some keyboards) whereby if you select to insert a Smiley (emoticon, or whatever they are called) it automatically converts a text sms into a picture mms.  

Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

That's quite right.

Although adding a 🙂 for example does not and on my iPhone keyboard I have a dedicated smiley face and other emoticons which don't make my texts into MMS versions.
Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All smiley's count towards the text count - It depends which ones and how you use them that determines the number of characters used.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
All smiley's count towards the text count - It depends which ones and how you use them that determines the number of characters used.

Am I right in thinking the little green smilies on Samsung phones are free @MI5 ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not free, no, they will be using character count.
Keep your eye on the text counter so you don't go over.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 17