cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to have airtime contract for Apple Watch?

Pat-uk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m trying to understand this .
I have an Iphone and I have unlimited data.

If I want an Apple Watch I also have to pay for mor data and an airtime plan, surely the watch will be permanently linked to the phone via Bluetooth and will use the data plan I already have.

Why do I need to spend £150 for airtime over the next 3 years when I already have data.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

The data/airtime plan for the watch is so that you don't have to be connected to your iphone via bluetooth @Pat-uk 

The idea is that you can leave your phone at home if you go walking/jogging/shopping etc which is how the watch is designed to be used

If you just want to use a bluetooth watch then you can find watches which will do that particular job much cheaper than the iWatch

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

The data/airtime plan for the watch is so that you don't have to be connected to your iphone via bluetooth @Pat-uk 

The idea is that you can leave your phone at home if you go walking/jogging/shopping etc which is how the watch is designed to be used

If you just want to use a bluetooth watch then you can find watches which will do that particular job much cheaper than the iWatch

Message 2 of 4

Pat-uk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My phone is with me 247, I’m more likely to leave my watch at home than my phone. I have no intention of using the watch to make phone calls, I have a perfectly good phone for that.

Yes there are other Bluetooth watches but they don’t interact with the IPhone in the same way.

So my question again is why does it appear that I have to pay for an additional airtime contract that I don’t need.

Does the watch actually require an airtime contract to function and interact fully when an IPhone is connected ?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Pat-uk 

The watch data plan is not required at all for the watch to function with the phone present. 

However, O2 only sell the cellular version and enforce the purchase of the data plan, so there's no option if you buy from O2. 

To avoid this, you need to purchase a none cellular version direct from Apple or Amazon etc......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4