Did you mean: 

Where to find answers to technical question re data sharing

MarkP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I have a Technical question regarding "data sharing" 

Apparently you can have multiple "leader devices" but you must have at least one "member device"

So for example sake, lets say you have 3 devices, with 2 set up as "leader devices" and the 3rd as a "member device"

The question is, how is the data shared accross the 3 devices is it:

1.  Data is aggragated across both "leader devices" and then shared across all 3 devices.

2.  Data is shared from 1 "leader device" then when that data allowance is used up, it then draws upon the second "leader device" data allowance.

2. Data used by the "member device" is split evenly across both "leader devices"

Its an interesting question, and one which I'm guessing could only be answered by someone within O2 tecnical, so does anyone know the best place to ask this question ?

I'm definately not going to ask CS, they wouldnt even understand the question, let alone have an answer..

Destroy

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27610 Solutions
One lead device can have nine members and your other lead device can have another nine if you wish but they are separate and only share between lead and allocated members....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27610 Solutions
Data is only shared between a lead device and a member device so in your example one lead device is redundant.
The total amount of data is available to both devices on an "as used" basis so if you had 20gb it could be 10gb each, 15 and 5, 12 and 8 or any other combination totaling 20gb.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

MarkP
  • 21 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But according to the website you can have multiple leader devices:

Your lead device can share its data allowance with up to nine others devices, either mobiles, tablets or sims. Extra devices can be added to your sharer plan at any time. And you can have more than one lead device too.

So, can you have 2 lead devices and 1 member device, or is each member device allocated to a single lead device ?

obviously you can have more than 1 member device allocated to 1 lead device, but does it work the other war round ?

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27610 Solutions
One lead device can have nine members and your other lead device can have another nine if you wish but they are separate and only share between lead and allocated members....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

MarkP
  • 21 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok, fair enough...so that destroys my option if the CEO's office can't sort out changing one of tariffs from a leader to a member...

Thanks
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27610 Solutions
Someone else reported that live chat changed one of their devices to member - it's not been confirmed but they seemed very confident.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

MarkP
  • 21 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah I saw that, I'm waiting for him to confirm it actually went through, I'd been told twice that mine had been done, but the latest is "its impossible"
We will see..
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to see that the community was helpful to your question @MarkP.:smileyhappy: Remember that the users are here to help at any time! 

Message 8 of 8