cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp not working whilst roaming in Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, for the past week or so my whatsapp isn't connecting to the network whilst on data roaming with 3G connection in European countries. It works fine in the UK however doesn't connect in Europe and I've tried in 4 different countries so far. I haven't re-installed it yet as I have so much data on there to back up first. Any ideas? All other apps work fine whilst using roaming. Thanks

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only info I got so far is as below:

If you can connect to other applications on your data network, but not WhatsApp, it could be that your mobile provider has configured your wireless access points to block certain chat applications. Try this if WhatsApp still will not work on data only:
Contact your mobile provider and ask them about different access point settings to run chat apps.
They will guide you through a process in which you will manually configure your data network and web settings.

My friends who are on different networks aren't having this problem. I have a friend on O2 with the same problem. I will call O2 once back in the UK
Message 31 of 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
@Toby @Martin-O2 any changes to o2 network that could have caused this?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 50

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
My friends who are on different networks aren't having this problem. I have a friend on O2 with the same problem. I will call O2 once back in the UK

Check your settings against those listed here http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 33 of 50

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @MI5,

We're looking into it at the moment and I'll update on any information we find out.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 34 of 50

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Cheers Toby

Currently using:
Message 35 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issue. I'm on an iPhone 6s and experienced this last week in Spain and again this week in Germany. I've tried resetting everything and reinstalling whatsapp. I was in France in March and didn't have the issue so something must have changed. Did whatsapp update the encryption settings in that timeframe?
Message 36 of 50

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, the encryption is a recent addition from around end of March, I think.

Currently using:
Message 37 of 50

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The last WhatsApp update was for encryption.  It seems that O2 have a problem with this....

Message 38 of 50

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Reported on April 5th http://www.cnet.com/news/the-fbis-problems-just-got-worse-whatsapp-is-encrypting-all-its-service/

Currently using:
Message 39 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I do believe it's an O2 issue. Telegram does not work as well and I'm experiencing general delays.
I'm in Italy right now and last time I was here (end of December) everything was working flawlessly.
Message 40 of 50