cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp not working whilst roaming in Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, for the past week or so my whatsapp isn't connecting to the network whilst on data roaming with 3G connection in European countries. It works fine in the UK however doesn't connect in Europe and I've tried in 4 different countries so far. I haven't re-installed it yet as I have so much data on there to back up first. Any ideas? All other apps work fine whilst using roaming. Thanks

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Why would O2 have a restriction on Whatsapp but not on other messaging and social apps?

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/whatsapp

Check for issues in other countries by clicking on the flag of that country.

Message 21 of 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It has to be a whatsapp issue - they just need to admit it!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting same issue in Germany

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, for the past week or so my whatsapp isn't connecting to the network whilst on data roaming with 3G connection in European countries. It works fine in the UK however doesn't connect in Europe and I've tried in 4 different countries so far. I haven't re-installed it yet as I have so much data on there to back up first. Any ideas? All other apps work fine whilst using roaming. Thanks

Message 23 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatsapp need to provide a better answer and solution to this problem. They are simply fobbing me off saying its a network error - it cannot be as whatsapp works on wifi and other apps work on roaming.

Message 24 of 50

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It has to be a whatsapp issue - they just need to admit it!

Facebook own WhatsApp now... So can't see anyway they will admit it them at fault... But clearly they are.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 25 of 50

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I certainly would be looking for an alternative to Whatsapp

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/20/six-alternatives-whatsapp-facebook

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 50

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Line and bbm messenger are both cross platform now. You also have *cough* skype. wink
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 27 of 50

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Line is possibly the best free messaging social app. Everyone I contact overseas has the app now and it's the preferred choice for the biggest part of Asia.

Message 28 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
So there's no solution to this? Can't believe whatsapp won't come up with an update. Surely many people would have complained by now.
Message 29 of 50

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We wouldn't know, have you asked whatsapp?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 50