cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail- notifications with an iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Just found out today with O2 customer services about an issue with the iphone regarding 'visual voicemail' aka notifications of voicemail messages. I was told that unless I have mobile data on and wi fi off that I won't receive notifications. This is really disappointing, as I don't have mobile data on usually and just access data when wi fi is conected- I'm sure I'm not the only one to save unecessary data useage.  I've missed crucial call messages. I'd like to know why this is and if it will be rectified?  thanks

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As far as I kinow it is a security feature it has to come over the carriers network to your phone and not over the internet . As far as I have seen as long as you have mobile data turned on in settings even with wifi on and connected  the notifications do come through . Not sure how this may now work alongside wifi calling

old apple thread about needing mobile coverage not just an o2 issue or a new one https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1603150?start=0&tstart=0

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous i think it’s either something to do with o2’s carrier settings rather than Apple

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to know why this is and if it will be rectified?  thanks

You'd be best to ask O2 technical support or raise a complaint and see what they answer you with.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As far as I kinow it is a security feature it has to come over the carriers network to your phone and not over the internet . As far as I have seen as long as you have mobile data turned on in settings even with wifi on and connected  the notifications do come through . Not sure how this may now work alongside wifi calling

old apple thread about needing mobile coverage not just an o2 issue or a new one https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1603150?start=0&tstart=0

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thanks. O2 did indeed say it was their issue/problem and it was a problem they have encountered with the iphone. I spoke to technical support who were very helpful, so didn't want to raise it as a compaint with them.  I'm new to this forum and presumed O2 would respond?  Have I got that wrong and this is only for customers to post issues between themselves?  I'll raise a complaint if I need to.  

Message 5 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Chris_K or @Martin-O2 can you get clarification of the vvm process it sounds like the op @Anonymous has been given some very conflicting advice here from customer services

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes thanks. O2 did indeed say it was their issue/problem and it was a problem they have encountered with the iphone. I spoke to technical support who were very helpful, so didn't want to raise it as a compaint with them.  I'm new to this forum and presumed O2 would respond?  Have I got that wrong and this is only for customers to post issues between themselves?  I'll raise a complaint if I need to.  

Hi @Anonymous this is a forum where customers like yourself give support to others. No one from O2 will see your post unless community admin staff are tagged into your post. (which has happened) So pop back on Monday and see if you have an answer from any of the admin team...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes this is a customer to customer community where we can hp out with advice from our own knowledge and experience. O2 won't respond to anything that you post here though we do have a couple of O2 staff members who post in a private capacity. 

Admin will feed issues back and try to get clarity on certain things hence the mentions in the post by @adamtemp64

No answers will be clarified though at weekends 

Message 8 of 10

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, Just found out today with O2 customer services about an issue with the iphone regarding 'visual voicemail' aka notifications of voicemail messages. I was told that unless I have mobile data on and wi fi off that I won't receive notifications. This is really disappointing, as I don't have mobile data on usually and just access data when wi fi is conected- I'm sure I'm not the only one to save unecessary data useage.  I've missed crucial call messages. I'd like to know why this is and if it will be rectified?  thanks

Sorry for any confusing or conflicting info you've received John.

VVM notifications are received via the mobile data network, so to clarify:

- If you are on Wifi and either have no cellular connection or have mobile data disabled, you won't receive any VVM notifications
- If you are on Wifi and have cellular and data connectivity enabled, you should still receive VVM notifications

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 9 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Chris_K Thanks for confirming the process is as I thought 

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 10