cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone sold me a blacklisted phone! How can I remove it from O2’s blacklist?

redpola
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought refurbished iPhone from vodafone. I am a Sky (O2) customer and want to put my Sky SIM in it. To my surprise the device arrived blacklisted and of course my Sky SIM does not work in it.

After 90 minutes online chat with Vodafone they have said they will "unblacklist" it within 48-72 hours.

I am concerned this will only work for their network, although "48-72hrs" may hint at a propagation to other carriers.

Should I just return the device and get a refund?

I'm concerned that

- I don't know how far this blacklisting has propagated - will my phone/SIM work in a different country for example?

- Some comments on this board suggest that dealing in blacklisted phones is actually illegal. Should I be calling the police?

- Getting it removed from the O2 blacklist will be painful, although I obviously have proof of purchase etc

Is this phone going to be more hassle than it's worth?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@redpola 

Send it back and request another phone.

It is illegal to posess a blacklisted phone and not worth the hassle.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@redpola 

Send it back and request another phone.

It is illegal to posess a blacklisted phone and not worth the hassle.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
@redpola

Being in possession of a blocked phone, may be construed as handling stolen goods, but if you bought it in good faith you have nothing to worry about.

o2 will not unblock the device, and nor will Sky Mobile, who you would need to contact as proof of purchase is not accepted as proof of ownership.

Give Vodafone the benefit of 72hours and test, if not send it back and request a refund.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Bought in good faith is fine and does not constitute a crime, however, retaining a device now knowing it's blacklisted could be considered fraud and certainly do not be tempted to sell it on.
It must be returned to the vendor for refund or replacement.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4