cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual voicemail: does it work with WiFi?

Mary100
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have an iPhone 6s Plus and o2 has apparently given me the Visual Voicemail 'bolt on'.  I asked them to also give me iData but they said it's not necessary.  

The reason why I want visual voicemail is so that if I travel abroad, I want to always keep my phone in flight mode (and switch data roaming off) so that I don't incur huge roaming costs, and I just want to use WiFi.  

Does visual voicemail work with WiFi only? That is, will it be possible to see the little red dot indicating that someone has left me a voicemail by only having WiFi on?

At the moment when I turn my phone to flight mode, there is a note that the top of my voice stating "visual voicemail is currently unavailale".  Does that mean it's unavailable because flight mode is on, or does it mean that o2's visual voicemail is currently 'broken'?

I would be very grateful for any help.  Thank you!  I posted this to the "Apple" board, would I get a better response posting it to another board?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Hi @Mary100 

No sorry, VVM requires a mobile data connection to work correctly and the iData bolt on is also required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Hi @Mary100 

No sorry, VVM requires a mobile data connection to work correctly and the iData bolt on is also required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

I'm fairly sure visual voicemail will only work over the network and not via wifi.

I'm also fairly sure that vvm will only work with the idata bolt on.

Happy to be corrected as I don't have an iphone these days.

Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Hi @Mary100 

Thanks for confirming what I thought @MI5 

My typing isn't the quickest...

Message 4 of 12

Mary100
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thank you

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No problem folks slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Mary100
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't suppose there is an alternative to switching airplane mode off while travelling to see if anyone has left a voicemail for me?

It would cost me £4.99 per day to check if a voicemail has been left 😞

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Mary100 

You can call your voicemail from any phone which may work out cheaper for you?

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/All-you-need-to-know-about-O2-Voicemail-901/ba-p/547712

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Mary100
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thank you MI5, I think your suggestion would be the cheapest way to pick up voicemails. Thank you to jonsie too!

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You're welcome slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12