Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor service from O2 repairs

Hughmungus
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Short version, my iphone 6 wouldnt charge and eventually became unusable. As it was now 14 month old it was out of support with Apple so I contacted O2 via online chat and explained the issue. They advised my not to try any form of repair and kindly arranged for it to be sent to their repair dept for inspection.

Thats when it all went pear shaped.

The repair dept had it for 3 days and sent me a nice email with photos showing me that the lightning socket on the phone had a 'foreign body' stuck inside stopping the connection between lead and phone. The photos showed some dark stuff inside the socket which I immediatley recognised as maybe fluff from being in pockets etc. Now rather than just clean the socket and test it they went to great pains to get me to stump up £212 for a new phone as in their word mine was now u/s.

This I refused and asked for the phone back which took them another 3 days to return.

When I got it back I decided to try some major and very complicated mechanical repair which required years of training. A cocktail stick and some cotton wool, and guess what the fluff was removed and the phone is now working.

Some will say why didnt I do this in the first place, but having been specifically warned by O2 not to try any repair as their skilled engineers would be the only ones able to do any work on the phone I left it to them.

My question to O2 via this community and other avenues is why were your skilled engineers unable to operate a cocktail stick type instrument and remove the foreign object, and more worryingly why try and force me to buy a replacement phone when my was perfectly ok apart from a bit of fluff.?

Mw thinks our friend Watchdog may find this incident interesting.

Yours, soon to be ex customer.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Not unusual for Anovo at all I'm afraid....
Maybe the tech who had your phone was off sick on the day they covered cocktail sticks during training?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

jonsie
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

None of the regulars on here would ever recommend sending a phone to O2's repairers, far too many horror stories on here about alleged water damage, user damage and phones coming back with dents and scratches. You are just the latest in a long line of their victims. Always deal with the manufacturer rather than let supposed experts loose on your phone.

Message 3 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
In my experience, you got off lightly.
Message 4 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122378 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is up there as one of the most ridiculous of all Anova stories. They actually took photos of the fluff...but couldn't remove it? Then wanted £212 for another phone? Beggars belief. Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

When will these subcontractors be taken to task.

@Hughmungus Apple would have looked at this in store and offered advice or even cleaned it foc even out of warranty there customer service is excellent in my opinion

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122378 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think @Hughmungus did a pretty good job of the repair. Obviously took cocktail stick training wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 22

jonsie
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's having the right tool for the job rather than sending the phone to the tools.....

Message 8 of 22

Hughmungus
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Capture120216 [47290].JPGThis was the picture they sent me, and the repair their skilled engineers couldnt handle !

Message 9 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's having the right tool for the job rather than sending the phone to the tools.....

A well known Swiss multi tool has a plastic toothpick that works well on Apple 30 pin and lightning ports and headphone ports. (Another common issue)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 22