Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using local sim in iPhone 7 abroad

Didi1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am travelling to Thailand and would like to use my iPhone 7 and all its functions whilst away is calls, messaging, maps, internet, mail. Cheapest way is to use a local sim but how do I check if my phone is locked with O2
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Use a DTAC or TRUE local sim but take your passport to one of their stores in the shopping malls or precincts. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to get one at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).

There will be hordes of people there being dealt with very slowly and being charged way over the prices from the stores.

You should be able to get 6-8GB of data for around £8.00 a month. It's still worth getting if you aren't there for a full month. No texts or calls are likely to be included for that but you can top up 100 bahts a time (£2.00ish)at 7-11 stores which will allow you to keep in touch with the UK. 

If you are a contract customer. Then get the best of both worlds by using TU over wifi to use your UK text & call allowances. You don't need your O2 sim in the phone so there will be no hidden charges. 

If you need any more help just ask 😉 and above all, enjoy the beautiful land of smiles. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Try another sim before you leave.
Unlocking help here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Use a DTAC or TRUE local sim but take your passport to one of their stores in the shopping malls or precincts. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to get one at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).

There will be hordes of people there being dealt with very slowly and being charged way over the prices from the stores.

You should be able to get 6-8GB of data for around £8.00 a month. It's still worth getting if you aren't there for a full month. No texts or calls are likely to be included for that but you can top up 100 bahts a time (£2.00ish)at 7-11 stores which will allow you to keep in touch with the UK. 

If you are a contract customer. Then get the best of both worlds by using TU over wifi to use your UK text & call allowances. You don't need your O2 sim in the phone so there will be no hidden charges. 

If you need any more help just ask 😉 and above all, enjoy the beautiful land of smiles. 

Message 3 of 4

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Didi1, welcome to the O2 community!

Please follow @MI5 suggestion but, @jonsie is our Thailand Community Master!!! Hero Anything you need to know about Thailand... he is your men! 

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 4 of 4