cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Iphone 5 Unlocked from O2 on EE for 4g - NIGHTMARE!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone help me with something....

I've an iphone 5 - I had O2 unlock it months ago, so I thought I would try out the EE 4g service in my area (chester).  I got a PAYG sim card, loaded it up - but when in the phone, I never get 4G.  I've done so much troubleshooting with EE its destroying me!

EE put it down to a faulty Iphone, so I went to the apple store on Tuesday, they looked into it and couldn't get 4G - so they swapped the handset - put the sim in and BINGO - 4G is there!! it works - hurrrayy!

Here's the nightmare, so on my way home from Manchester to Chester, I thought I better put my O2 sim back in, and as soon as it connected to the O2 network, a Carrier update came through.

Since then, guess what - no 4G - not matter how hard I try with the EE sim - it doesn't work.  I've wiped the phone, I've even done a full restore and yet I still get the same problem.

I would guess that O2 carrier updates do something to the phone that wiping/restoring simply does not return carrier back to basics!!

Anyone else had this problem - anyone got any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Go back to apple and ask why the iPhone seams to have relocked to o2 as it was previously officially unlocked by O2

P.s. each time you swap sims the carrier settings should automatically update for any network
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Apple replace like for like so if originally an o2 locked phone, that is what they will supply. I guess O2 will have to unlock this one for you now.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
@mi5 from previous experience if o2 have unlocked it the apple replacement follows that.

My stepdads old 4 was unlocked but developed a fault (broken screen) we used out of warranty service as it was being passed to a relative on 3 and once restored at home it said successfully unlocked.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Understood.....
Reading the post again it does appear that the EE sim is working in the phone but not receiving a 4G signal?
If so, I guess it would need a carrier update from EE too?

I assume the iPhone should do this automatically for each sim inserted in the same way as android does?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just a thought, to senditbry, have you connected to iTunes with the EE sim in the phone?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Correct, I would say that getting a new carrier update from EE would probably solve, but they simply don't do them by manually pushing them to the device!.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, I've tried this and nothing! - i'm trying full restore again now with the EE sim in to see if that does anything different.
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
The iPhone 5 for O2 only works with O2's 4G frequency band. It will never work with EE. The iPhone 5 that works on EE has a different chip inside to the one you get from O2. Annoying but true. Effect of early 4G technology. Not all 4G signals are the same. Later generation iPhones feature chips capable of all popular 4G frequencies and therefore work with multiple carriers.
Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The iPhone 5 for O2 only works with O2's 4G frequency band. It will never work with EE. The iPhone 5 that works on EE has a different chip inside to the one you get from O2. Annoying but true. Effect of early 4G technology. Not all 4G signals are the same. Later generation iPhones feature chips capable of all popular 4G frequencies and therefore work with multiple carriers.

Not according to the EE forum where a similar question was asked...

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Forum/EE-4G-sim-into-O2-iPhone-5/td-p/245761

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11