cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading iPhone Contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a few calls over the past few days from different numbers telling me my contract is due for renewal.

I'm quite aware of that but looking online I'd have to buy out the remaining contract, which is about £35 or if I wait until next week it'll be free.

Asked if they could apply my F&F discount but told I would have to go instore.

I wonder where they are getting my number from?

I used to have the Open discount, but for some reason it wasn't applied the last time I upgraded 2 years ago, but the kind Store Manager added me to his.

I remember getting a message last year stating that the discount would apply to iphone's and that was about 2 months after the iphone 5 launched, so here's hoping it'll be about the same time.

I have an Open discount card from my employer, but have since found out that if you are serving or have served in the Armed Forces, you can also apply for it.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
If you haven't instructed O2 NOT to share your details they will pass them on to selected trading partners (ie sell them), so you will get these cold calls.
Our advice is to always ignore them, do your own homework, and upgrade through the route of your choice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You can write to O2 to remove yourself from these trusted partners or ring them in 202 to request it.
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

First off, personally I would never upgrade from a cold call from one of O2's trusted partners. I use that term loosely!

On past experience it would seem 2-3 months is the period before the new iphone is eligible for the discount code so a trip instore would I think be your best option.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believed I was on the TPS list, but just checked and according to that I'm not!

I don't normally accept calls from unknown landlines and usually block the number using my iphone, this one caught me out as it was from a mobile, and was expecting a delivery.

The good thing about the TU Go App is that it still shows who tried calling from a blocked number and usually do a search on a number.

Going off topic a wee bit,

I'm not sure if there's a similar App for iOS, but I know on Android if a business that is listed it'll show their name and number even if not in contacts.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
iOS 7 onwards now has blocking incorporated in for texts and calls as long as you have the number to add to it as you know which is a good feature to have.

Tbh TPS is a weak body who from what I've read can't help all that much.

If they decide to withhold a number theirs no app on android or iOS etc afaik that will force show the number. One such app many years ago was removed due to legality reasons.
Message 6 of 7

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

TPS are not the enforcing body.

TPS can only take action if the culprits are reported to them.

TPS report regularly to ICO with all the numbers reported to them

There's no point in registering with TPS then sitting back and doing nothing when you receive unsolicited calls.

https://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/consumer

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing/calls

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 7