cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded over the phone to iPhone 5 tonight....

Anonymous
Not applicable

and it was a curious call. I spoke to Phones4U tonight on the phone about upgrading to the iPhone 5. I had steeled myself to move to EE and was ready to leave O2 with a heavy heart. I've never had a problem with O2 but I want 4G with my iPhone.

I explained this and the guy said I could stay with O2 and once their 4G network launched in the summer I just had to dial 202 from my phone and it would work. I said to him that my understanding was that the current iPhone 5 would not work on O2's upcoming 4G network. He said it would. I asked him if he was sure. He said he was. He then went away to check and came back and told me it would definitely work.

So I took the deal. The call is recorded though and if it turns out not to be the case I'll be asking for a new phone in a few months.

Has something changed? Is the guy I spoke to correct?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if the iphone 5 was going to work on o2 800mhz 4g they would not need this page http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/phone-promise return immediatly and wait until an iphone that is compatiable with o2 4g is released and also report the company to local trading standards!

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your going to be disappointed as i believe it won't.

My factory unlocked ip5 will run on the ee 4g network but not 02's when its released.

it will run hspa however.

You may find this link helpful.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/4G-question-iphone-5/td-p/303702

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

it was stated that the iphone 5 is 4g capable but wont run on 4g when o2 get it. the only network you caan get 4g on an iphone 5 is ee but they are pretty pricey

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
The OP's thread just supports why I give that shop chain a wide berth slight_smile

Pushy store reps and now looks like ill informed telephone sales line !

If uk Lte / 4g is a must have then cancel your order now and wait until 02 bring their services online or go with the Ee Network. Their tariffs are high but they could drop when the other networks come online to offer competition.

Plus the iPhone 5s is due to be released in a few months !
Message 4 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if the iphone 5 was going to work on o2 800mhz 4g they would not need this page http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/phone-promise return immediatly and wait until an iphone that is compatiable with o2 4g is released and also report the company to local trading standards!

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to echo what the guys are saying.  Phones 4U are very hard to deal with after the sale.  They will make it as awkward as they can for you to return the handset within your legal cooling off period, let alone 4-5 months later.  O2 won't be able to step in as the phone is not coming from O2.  They're just providing the minutes/text/data agreement in this case.

Return it now.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found out myself phones4u have bad after service, bought a phone, had 28 days to take it & have it replaced if faulty, within 2 days it went faulty, took it back, they refused to replace, continued back & forth for a couple months, in the end, went to O2 directly & got an iPhone
Message 7 of 7