cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded my two I phones from 3GS to 4S maintained my o2 pay as you go, need to unlock old ones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2009 I bought two 3GS I phones. As sim free since then we have used them on o2 pay as you go with a data bolt on . No issues really happy. To start 2013 I bought two I Phone 4S again Sims free transferred our numbers to the new phones. We gave our old GS3 phone to our grand children believing they were Sims free unlocked phones as at when we bought them. Can you imagine their disappointment when they put in their own Sims cards and the phone did not respond.

How did my phones become locked when bought Sims free and how do I get them unlocked so my grand children can use them.

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
O2 don't sell unlocked phones as far as I know. The sim free bit referees only to the fact they don't contain a sim.

To unlock them use this form;

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

You'll need the imei of each phone which you can get by dialling *#06# on the phone itself.

Unfortunately because the phones were PAYG you'll have to put the sim back in them with £15 credit to pay for the unlock.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
O2 don't sell unlocked phones as far as I know. The sim free bit referees only to the fact they don't contain a sim.

To unlock them use this form;

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

You'll need the imei of each phone which you can get by dialling *#06# on the phone itself.

Unfortunately because the phones were PAYG you'll have to put the sim back in them with £15 credit to pay for the unlock.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where did you buy them from.

And yes you fill in the unlocking request form which is online.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank-you for your response. I bought one from Apple Milton Keynes and one from o2 in Northampton at the time they were in short supply. The new ones are both from Apple and I was told I could use them anywhere by just buying a sim. I fear know they to may be locked to the network, I rang Apple and they assure me they never lock a phone and are not really interested.

Message 4 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

in 2009 all iphones were locked to networks and apple did not sell them sim free you had to buy a payg card at the time and o2 would have been the same . Only with the launch of the 4 did apple offer sim free at an apple store as they do now.

If you get the iphones back and make a few calls with the old sims (adptors are available)

Then you can use the unlock form and pay £15 each handset to unlock

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks i did not know that
Message 6 of 6