cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade - Visual Voicemail Lost & Voicemails deleted by o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wish I hadn't upgraded! 

I upgraded to Samsung S6 yesterday from an Iphone 4s - don't get handset until tomorrow so thought I wouldn't be switched over until then. Big mistake. 

o2 sent a load of messages saying the switch had happened & visual voicemail disappeared completely from my phone as unsupported with upgraded contract (because switching from Iphone to Samsung).

Instead of visual voicemail - the phone automatically calls voicemail - but there are only 6 saved messages to listen to. I had several more that I hadn't deleted from visual voicemail that are now missing - including from someone who has passed away. Obviously this is really upsetting & if I'd known this was going to happen - I would have made sure to find a way to take them off the phone before the switch took place. So angry with o2 for not making information clear.

I rang o2 today and the man on the phone kept repeating that o2 don't delete voicemails so they should all be there when I'm accessing voicemail even if visual voicemail has gone. THEY AREN'T!!! But he didn't seem convinced or able to help me. 

I have tried resetting the phone but because the switch has already happened - the result is the same. Does anyone know how I might be able to retrieve the lost voicemails?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They should still be backed up to iTunes?  When you get the phone you can import saved messages etc from iTunes when you set the phone up I hope.

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The only thing I can think of is to ask CS to put you back onto iData for another day to see if that brings your voicemail back.
Once you've done this (and hopefully saved what you need) call again and ask them to switch you to standard data again.
These changes can be requested on a daily basis but they only take effect from midnight on the day they are requested.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

Not sure if this will assist, but this has worked for me in the past.

The reason the voicemails are "missing" is because using standard data APN on an iPhone results in the phone calling 901 voicemail. Having idata will bring back visual voicemails.

O2 are correct in that they don't delete voicemails, they expire after a set period (30 days?) however the iPhone stores the extra messages until you delete them. You would notice this if you have ever called 901 and it says no messages yet your iPhone shows a number of them over 30 days old.

Getting O2 to re-provision you to idata should bring back the messages the phone had stored (should being the operative word). However the only way to save them is to back up to iTunes.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone confirm if this works?

Message 5 of 6

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
well @PhoneChanger worked (or still does) so... I would go with that advice.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 6