cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phone to use overseas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am in Australia trying to use a Telstra SIM in my phone and being told I have to unlock my phone from O2.

My iphone 6 is from Apple and I was on a Pay as You Go in the UK.

I have been told I have to add 15 pounds credit to the phone to pay to unlock it.

I have done this and now the phone has used up the 15 pounds I added because I am overseas.

I don't see how I should have to pay for this and I don't know how to keep credit on the account for unlock without the phone using the credit.

Online chat is now offline and I need to be able to use phone in Australia.

Help

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Unlocking a PAYG phone requires a £20 top up.

Follow the advice in this link https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1014131

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Clearly you will have to stop using the phone once you’ve added the £15 for the unlock fee.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It will also depend on what tariff you are on as some tariffs take the top up for all the months allowances. You need to be on the Classic tariff. How long since the phone was used on O2 in the UK? 

Message 4 of 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, how are you doing with the phone, did you manage to get it unlocked yet? Please do take a look at the info above from our members and let us know if you have any further questions. 

Message 5 of 5