Unlocking an O2 phone

AlanL
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can anyone suggest a solution please ?
I have an old Iphone 5s.
When I put an O2 SIM in it, it works. It appears to be locked as I cannot use another provider SIM. I have filled out the online 02 unlock form 3 times and 3 times an e mail comes back saying that I did not pass the security checks with the detail given. My mobile number has been the same for 20 years, it was my phone and the IMEI number for the phone is correct. Any suggestions please ?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AlanL 

Common mistake is the security word is not your password.

Security word can be reset in your MyO2 or call customer service to give your details.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

O2Karl
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Hi @AlanL 

Have you tried contacting us via 202 and explaining what is happening? Customer service can then look into this for you.

Have you also downloaded My O2 on the device and logged in with a mobile number?

Once within the App, you can request the unlatching so that it will work on any network from the menu; the App should ID IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) and sim card with a number.

If you have tried that, contacting O2 would be your best port of contact.

Hope you get it resolved.

signature
Message 3 of 10

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Put your sim in the phone and make 1 phone call from it.

Wait 24 hours.

Log into your myo2 app and at bottom of screen press "view all" then tap device connection - unlock my phone.

Enter the IMEI of the old iphone and submit. You will then get an email confirming its unlocked usually with 24hrs.

You need to use the phone with your sim at least once for it to work and wait the full 24hrs for the system to catchup that your sim was used in the phone.
Message 4 of 10

AlanL
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
All Brilliant suggestions thank you and much appreciated. I will try the SIM route tonight when I get home.
Message 5 of 10

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Your welcome. If definitely works as I have done it numerous times with various phones. As long as you have used the device with your pay monthly sim and waited the 24 hours for the system to catch up then it should be seamless.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 6 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AlanL 

All explained in the unlocking guide I posted above.

Read it carefully wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

AlanL
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks to everyone who has posted here with really useful info. When I reinserted the. SIM to make a call it showed mobile reception bars then an error message. I then paid to get a network search and discovered it was not 02 locked but Vodafone. Clearly the first time I did not wait long enough for the error message to show up. Sorry folks.
Message 8 of 10

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

Caroline21
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same problem. I've tried to submit the form three times but each time it says I failed the security.  I clicked on the 'forgotten password' and answered the questions. I have checked I've given the right answers.  It has now said that I've failed because I've tried too many times!!

I phoned 202 but if you are not calling about an urgent issue (theft/fraud), they just put the phone down on you (an automated process).  

Even if I follow links on e.g. here or via the app, I get to the information page that has the unblocking form on it.  There are no 'live chat' agents available just Aura who sends you round in circles! 

I am hoping to pass on my old iPhone 6s to my son and buy him a non-o2 sim as there are better deals out there.  I am still using the 6s at the moment as haven't ordered myself a new phone yet but trying to get organised.  Thank goodness they've scrapped this locking phone business as it's a right pain.

Thank you in advance.

Message 10 of 10