cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking IPOhne 6 plus phone that originally belonged to other account holder

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have a PAYG account and recently bought an O2 locked Iphone 6 plus from a firend who's contract had expired.

Whilst I can use the phone with my existing PAYG sim, I would like to be able to unlock the phone to give me the flexibility to change contracts and providers in the future. Can i do this if a pay the £15 fee  via my account

(The previous owner of the phone was told that she could not unlock it as her contract had been terminated).

Thanks

E

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Have a look at this thread on unlocking. Scroll down to PAYG. http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

With reference to your last sentence about your friend being unable to unlock it  as her contract had been terminated.....I hope this doesn't mean the handset was barred by O2.? Then you will have problems

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Have a look at this thread on unlocking. Scroll down to PAYG. http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

With reference to your last sentence about your friend being unable to unlock it  as her contract had been terminated.....I hope this doesn't mean the handset was barred by O2.? Then you will have problems

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Olamilekan
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 97 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous What do you mean locked?? Would it still work when an 02 sim is inserted? If it does then it is easy to unlock via other sites like EBay.

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Olamilekan wrote:

@Anonymous What do you mean locked?? Would it still work when an 02 sim is inserted? If it does then it is easy to unlock via other sites like EBay.

And then when the phone got an update it probably would lock again....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

Olamilekan
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 97 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

You didn't answer my question! I get my iPhones unlock on EBay soon as they are ready to be unlocked. The IMEI gets sent off just the same way 02 would & it gets unlocked with 5-7 working days. I travel out of the UK a lot with work hence why I always get my iPhones unlocked while still in contract  & it has never failed me. 

When it is unlocked you get asked to connect it to iTunes. 02 would never unlock the device until it has been fully paid for.

i am only trying to render assistance so you don't have to listen if you don't want to!

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous in an ideal world your friend should have unlocked it for free whilst still in contract, but as it is now, yes, if you have £15 credit on your account, o2 will unlock it for you (assuming the IMEI of the phone matches that shown in your MyO2?).

Alternatively, you can put a contract O2 sim in the phone (if you have one or can borrow one) and it will be free.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks to all those responding. As far as i am aware the phone is simply locked from other netwrok providers - not blocked or barred. So sounds like the easiest thing is simply to put in my O2 PAYG sim and fork out the £15. I'd prefer to do it myself than pay some 3rd party inlocking service. i am sure there are plenty of decent ones, but just seems safer.

Regards

Eddie

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'd be more comfortable with the official o2 process too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks to all those responding. As far as i am aware the phone is simply locked from other netwrok providers - not blocked or barred. So sounds like the easiest thing is simply to put in my O2 PAYG sim and fork out the £15. I'd prefer to do it myself than pay some 3rd party inlocking service. i am sure there are plenty of decent ones, but just seems safer.

Regards

Eddie

Indeeed this is the correct way to go. Going via the unofficial route as suggested by the other poster will always bring it's own risks as sais..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9