cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

So, the information given regarding unlocking the iPhone 5s on Refresh is correct.

Thanks for flagging the experience as it has highlighted that the process was not aligned across all channels. 

This has now been fedback and the process is being updated.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Live Chat which are outsourced Non Uk callcentres are certainly causing some issues recently.

Cannot stress how much of an issue this is - not just with O2.

For some reason some bafoon sitting in a boardroom decided it would be a good idea to have FRONT LINE SUPPORT representing a company who quite simply have no idea and cannot communicate effectively with customers.

It gives the company such a bad name, yet they all seem to be moving this way with both online and telephone support.

The mind boggles!

Message 12 of 171

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Agreed.... We've be saying it for some time and try to push back the correct info through the community managers where appropriate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 171

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Training improvement is something that O2 say is ongoing but we are seeing no evidence to support any improvement in the advice being given.

Message 14 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are O2 not legally obliged to unlatch the iphone when the contract is paid off ie pay phone side and then cancel airtime ?
Message 15 of 171

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which information ? That O2 will not unlock it after paying of the refresh contract ?thats to Toby slight_smile
Message 17 of 171

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

They will unlock the phone at your request once the initial 'non-unlock' period has passed. This was after around 6 months on the iphone 5 launch.

Message 18 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
It just seems strange to me that you can pay off your contract and then have to ring back in six months time to get it unlocked
Message 19 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 your live chat is neither use nor ornament

info: Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
info: You're through to 'Matthew'
Matthew: Hi there. My name's Matthew I am an O2 Sales advisor, how can I help you today?
martyn : Hi if I buy the iphone 5s when can I get it unlocked as I'm away soon
Matthew: I'll be happy to help you with that.
Matthew: Martyn, Currently we don't have any updates on it.
martyn : That info doesn't help me
Matthew: Martyn, Since we don't have any updates how can I help you with that.
martyn : Lol but your the company rep you should know if I can get the unit unlocked or not
Matthew: I'm sorry I cannot comment on that as we don't have any updates on it yet.
Matthew: Otherwise I would have definitely helped you with that.
info: We'll email a copy of your chat transcript to
Message 20 of 171