cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If I can ever get through to pay off my plan (and the bank don't decide it's fraudulent!) I'm going to request the unlock - I'm not expecting to be successful but I can only ask!

You should be alright, as Pablo says it's ok on Refresh once the phone is paid for.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 141 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally managed to pay off my phone plan this morning (thanks Nationwide Smiley Frustrated) and requested the unlock at the same time.  Apparently it should be done within 48 hours.  I also have my PAC - not sure if I'll use it yet but I've got SIM cards ordered from Three, T Mobile and EE.  (I know what Vodafone is like so no need for one from them).

I then have to make the decision whether to stick with good customer service and not very good coverage or change for poor customer service and better coverage!

I'll miss this forum if I go as well! slight_frown

Message 142 of 171

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 143 of 171

MI5
  • 144405 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Just for info T Mob & EE are the same (Virgin & Asda also use the same EE network).
ps, no need to leave the forum if you do leave O2 wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 144 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let us know Tracy glad you got your phone plan out the way
Message 145 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Just for info T Mob & EE are the same (Virgin & Asda also use the same EE network).
ps, no need to leave the forum if you do leave O2 wink

Doh, I knew that really!!! Smiley Embarassed

You mean I can stay?!? Bouncy  Whatever happens I wouldn't slate O2 or advertise whoever I go to - I know one network doesn't suit everyone. 

I'll be with O2 for a while yet though as Vodafone are having problems with number porting so, if I do decide change to them, I want that sorted out first - I can't be without a phone for a couple of weeks!

Message 146 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course you can stay on the forum we wouldn't want to see you go
Message 147 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay & Go customers

Yes, you can unlock your iPhone or any other brand of phone locked to O2. It costs £15.00 and we’ll take this from your Pay & Go balance.

Once you have a balance of £15.00 or more on your phone, just fill out this unlocking form and we'll do the rest.

When we’ve received your form, we’ll send you your unlocking code and instructions what to do in 3 working days for an iPhone and 10 working days for any other phone.

Once you’ve unlocked your phone, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes. 

The above is from o2's website is this not true??

Message 148 of 171

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
can you link to that page please

As this page makes it clear http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 149 of 171

MI5
  • 144405 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Not for the iP 5s & 5c unless on refresh and you pay off the phone first, at the moment, but will be relaxed later.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 150 of 171